New Chickens

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by Coopes, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Coopes

Coopes New Member

Hi Guys. we have had chickens for the last 4 years, we didn't know how old they were when we got them over the last 2 monthes we have lost two of the girls, leaving one on her own. My question is can we add some chicken to our flock, seems so unfair that she is on her own. what would the problems be if any, just thinking how would we introduce them, would they fight?

2. porkchop

porkchop New Member

When we introduce birds into the flock we put them in a temporary coop beside the other birds for a week, so that they somewhat get used to each other. If you only put more hens in, you only have to worry about breeding. Some hens are more dominant than others and may pick on hens, but not not usually. Good luck!

3. Coopes

Coopes New Member

Hi Porkchop thanks for the info, another quick question will the younger hens follow the older one when they go in to roost at night.

4. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Welcome to the forum. As Porkchop mentioned you want any new birds to be able to see your lone bird, but not be able to have physical contact with her until everyone seems to have gotten used to each other. The newbies may not follow the resident hen in at first; in fact, they may be afraid to. Locking any new birds in their coop for a week ago is always a good way to teach them that the coop is home and where they want to be at night for their own safety. I know some folks that have had good luck with building a temporary wall consisting of a wooden frame and chicken wire to keep them seperate, yet together; when another coop is not a possibility.
    It'll be a little bit of a hassle while the introduction period is going on, but I promise you your hen will be better off with some new flockmates. Chickens are very social creatures and thrive in a flock enviroment.

5. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Normally they will follow. I always let mine have free range of the coop to inspect their new digs on their own. They want to be part of a group so they will go through some growing pains until they figure out their pecking order. Just take it slow and they'll let you know when they're ready to be all together.

6. Coopes

Coopes New Member

We dont have enough space to have another area for the new chickens, so looks like she will be on her own for the forseable future.
    Thanks for all the info.

Regards Coopes

7. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I keep the newbie's in the house with me. They just go into a big plastic bin with a baby gate on top to keep them in. I take them out to run around of course but when I'm gone to work and at bedtime, they're nice and safe. No biggy. Usually only lasts for a few days to a week.