New chicken!

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by Biring, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Biring

Biring Active Member

EFE9952E-D014-42C8-8FAB-5B8B6893932B.jpeg

Our neighbour has a 1,000-bird broiler operation. Today was harvest day and he popped over with a gift. It’s not a type of chicken I want in my flock so I took it to the butcher down the road. (I would normally kill and clean the bird myself but my wife is pregnant and according to local custom I’m not allowed to kill chickens until after the baby is born.)

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Congrats on the pending arrival. Will this be the first?

It was obvious, even for me, that bird wouldn't be around long.

3. Biring

Biring Active Member

It’s already chopped up and in the freezer. If we don’t eat it ourselves then our puppy will be happy to finish it off.

4. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Congrats on the kiddo! They’re easier than chickens. Just kidding! But really, that’s awesome!

Is there any reason behind that custom/tradition on not killing chickens while she’s preggo? Tell us more!

5. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

What breed(s) of chickens do they raise in the broiler operation?

6. Biring

Biring Active Member

There are lots of superstitions here. My wife is not allowed to cut her hair, eat banana flowers or burn coconut shells (among many other weird prohibitions) and she wears a talisman made out of a pair of scissors and dried sweet flag roots to ward off ghosts.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  7. Biring

Biring Active Member

They’re known as ayam putih (white chickens) here. I have no idea what lines they are bred from. I guess they have been bred to maximise yield in as short a time as possible. They taste like chicken you can buy in supermarkets in the west. Village chickens are much tastier, but weigh less and take much longer to mature.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  8. Biring

Biring Active Member

My wife was concerned that our neighbour may have cursed the chicken he gave us yesterday so she made me put the plate on the floor and she stepped over it three times!

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  9. Poultry Judge

Well, at least you had a fix for the curse!

robin416 and Biring like this.
  10. Poultry Judge

Thanks, that's interesting, so they pretty much follow the pattern of western meat birds. Do the commercial operations follow a vaccination regimen? Do you think the birds are GMO to grow faster for the meat cycle?

11. Biring

Biring Active Member

I meant to ask about vaccinations but for various reasons that didn’t happen. My wife strongly dislikes this neighbour and I just have to go along with that.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  12. Poultry Judge

Thank you for sharing some of the local traditions. I find it all terribly interesting!

13. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I do too. And wonder about the culture shock when coming from a Western upbringing.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  14. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Smart man.