New chicken owner!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Meagan Stallard, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Meagan Stallard

Meagan Stallard New Member

59230034-C331-4327-9899-8346756C5E65.jpeg 918BE52C-833F-41ED-B59D-06DA394C085E.jpeg Hey! My husband and I just got 6 buff Orpington chicks today, and we’re already in love. We are new at this, so we may have questions along the way. We have a half Australian shepherd half poodle mix dog, and we’re worried about introducing them. He’s a barker and a wild one. Any advise?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Sorry had to laugh about your description of the dog.

Probably keep introductions off for a while. Right now babies are basically chew toys with the way they move and the sounds they make. Once they're larger had your boy on a leash during introductions. Make sure he understands they are part of the pack.

That could take time and patience and may not even work. I had one I had a tough time with but eventually he understood and could come with me into my coops without me worrying about what he was going to do.

Welcome to the forum, btw. And ask away. Someone will more than likely have an answer for you. Oh and good choice on the breed.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome!
    Please ask questions, don't assume and be careful where you get info online. This is the best place you can be.

Definitely keep the pupper doggy away from the babies until they are big enough to defend themselves (basically adults). I made that mistake when I was a new chicky momma and had to pry my dogs mouth open to get the chick out. I was holding it and he was so quick he had that baby out of my hands before I knew it was gone.

Again, welcome!

4. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Oh and by the way, the swimming pool you have them in will last about 2 weeks at best, they will be hopping out before you know it. One other thing about the pool, be careful that they don't get a draft, they can get sick very easily from drafts. Generally we recommend an enclosure with walls at least 2 feet high. You are off to a good start! Keep up the good work