Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My son and I are new to raising chickens. We did a lot of research on breeds before starting our coop. We have three orpingtons, two silkies, and a SL Wyandotte. I'd love your thoughts on whether you think we have roos or pullets. I understand you won't be able to comment on the silkies. I will say the chocolate silkie and black orpington have faced off several times. And the same black orpington and white silkie appear to be an item. Black Orpington and wyandotte are 7 weeks. Other Orpingtons are 6 weeks. Thank you in advance to those who comment.
Bird Beak Grey Wood Feather
Bird Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal Sporting Group
Bird Vertebrate Beak Mammal Grass
Hand Bird Finger Beak Nail
Road surface Asphalt Natural material Bedrock Grass
Bird Phasianidae Beak Galliformes Feather
Bird Chicken Beak Poultry Galliformes
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Chicken
Bird Vertebrate Beak Phasianidae Mammal

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi. My son and I are new to raising chickens. We did a lot of research on breeds before starting our coop. We have three orpingtons, two silkies, and a SL Wyandotte. I'd love your thoughts on whether you think we have roos or pullets. I understand you won't be able to comment on the silkies. I will say the chocolate silkie and black orpington have faced off several times. And the same black orpington and white silkie appear to be an item. Black Orpington and wyandotte are 7 weeks. Other Orpingtons are 6 weeks. Thank you in advance to those who comment. View attachment 42569 View attachment 42570 View attachment 42571 View attachment 42572 View attachment 42573 View attachment 42574 View attachment 42575 View attachment 42576 View attachment 42577
those are sooo cute! I am glad you and your son could start a flock. I will be happy to be a friend and ally on this website, and I will try to answer any questions you have. You will soon be obsessed will these birds and have 9 times more than you thought to have at the start. lol :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
those are sooo cute! I am glad you and your son could start a flock. I will be happy to be a friend and ally on this website, and I will try to answer any questions you have. You will soon be obsessed will these birds and have 9 times more than you thought to have at the start. lol :)
Thank you!!! Who doesn't like an ally?

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
The second pic is my favorite. But all of them are adorable.

First look at the white made me think female but I'd need a better side pic of it. Same goes for the other. A good indicator is a legginess look to it when it walks away from you. It's hard to describe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

First look at the white made me think female but I'd need a better side pic of it. Same goes for the other. A good indicator is a legginess look to it when it walks away from you. It's hard to describe.
I’ll try to get some photos today. I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Silkies? Pictures 3 and 4 look to be pullets right now. The others have developing combs so are cockerels. Pullet combs usually develop later as the bird gets close to egg laying age. This is true for silkies too.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Silkies? Pictures 3 and 4 look to be pullets right now. The others have developing combs so are cockerels.

Welcome to the group.
Thank you. I think the chocolate silkie could be a roo. It faces off with the black Orpington. And it’s made some interesting noises. But never in the morning. Therefore, I’m not convinced.

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
Females will go at it when establishing their standing in the flock. So, that's not always a good indicator.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I can't see the silkies head/comb.

The two birds below are about the same age as yours. They are a phoenix/silkie cross. They are also a good couple in showing what to look for when determining sex in that they are a cockerel and pullet. The cockerel is on the left-notice how the comb is more visible and red, while the pullet on the right has a comb that shows no development.

Head Bird Eye Beak Feather

Beak Bird Feather Wing Tail

Beak Fawn Feather Wing Tail

·
Registered
386 Posts

Yeah, looks like a hen to me, too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Females will go at it when establishing their standing in the flock. So, that's not always a good indicator.
Good to know as apparently they've arrived at the age when they do that. I've had two more get spicy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't see the silkies head/comb.

The two birds below are about the same age as yours. They are a phoenix/silkie cross. They are also a good couple in showing what to look for when determining sex in that they are a cockerel and pullet. The cockerel is on the left-notice how the comb is more visible and red, while the pullet on the right has a comb that shows no development.

View attachment 42579

View attachment 42580

View attachment 42581
Absolutely adorable!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts