New Chicken Coop Under Construction.

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by dandmtritt, Jan 15, 2013.

1. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Hi All,

I'm a new member here and thought I would share pics and progress of my 1st coop build. My family and I are located in Kodiak, AK small remote island just South West of the Kenai Penisula. We have a mild climate comparable to Seattle lots of rain as we are a coastal community, but it does get pretty cold here as well. This is our first adventure with chickens mainly for fun and a hobby for the family. I'm looking for oportunities for after I retire from the military and maybe chicken farming will be the ticket, mainly want to work for myself and this will give me a chance to see how I like chickens. On to the run. It is in the works and the pics attached are the first 2 days of work about 6 to 8 hours worth. The coop will be 6'X6' and the attached run will be 6'X6' so a total of 6'X12'. The front wall is 8' tall and the back wall is 7'6" tall so the roof will be a lean to type with a covering for coop and run out of metal. Planning on a door for the run and coop each, our nesting boxes will be enclosed inside to keep everything warmer than the possible outside temp. We are planning on the 6 Fowl Stuff nesting boxes made from the 5 gallon buckets (if anyone has experiance with these in put would be great), there will be plenty of roosting space of course. We are planning on 10 to 15 birds at this time, trying to plan for losses due to the heavy population of Bald Eagles here. Let me know what you think any suggestions would be great and I'll try to post new pics daily as work continues.
    Doug

Coop Wall.jpg
    This is the First wall panel, built on a modular type design.
    Coop Wall 2.jpg
    This is the first wall panel standing in place.
    Coop Walls.jpg
    this is the second wall panel standing in place.
    Coop Walls 2.jpg
    This is quiting time at 5:24 pm.

2. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Yay, another Alaskan! I am in eagle river, just north of anchorage. This has been my first winter keeping chickens but so far no troubles with the eagles. We get a few here as well. Welcome to chicken land!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Welcome Doug. What kind of chickens are you thinking of getting? I have my nest boxes inside as well for the same reasons as you. I'm in Upper Michigan and not real far from Canada. We have a whopping 1 degree so far this morning. Not sure what the temp is with wind chill. Either way - brrr. If you're planning to have 10 - 15 birds, you'll want your run to be bigger when they get full grown. I have my run roofed and fenced so no Eagles or any other opportunistic predator is getting in during the day. Night, the girls are locked in tighter than Fort Knox. Welcome to joining the land of chickenhood. You're going to find it so entertaining and very relaxing. :)

4. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

We are currently looking at Silver Laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, and Black Australorps, or maybe the Golden Comets. I know the run size is smaller they will be allowed out in the yard when we are home and can watch over them and of course when the weather isn't horrible. I'm trying to find breeds that will work well in confinment and are some what docile so they pick on each other and it will allow my kids to interact with them a little better.

5. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

We have a ton of eagles here in Kodiak. My neighbor had ducks and they got wiped out one by one over a years time. I think the harsh winter we had last year was a large factor in that though. Other friends dont have problems with the eagles. How much does feed cost in Anchorage? Its about $20 for 50# pellets and 50# chick starter at Walmart here. I haven't called our local feed store yet, Kindof scared to do that at this point lol. i'm guessing at least $30 a 50# bag.

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Looking awesome. I wish I had the tools to build things. I took years of wood shop in high school and built allot of different things I even went to conventions and competed. Didn't place though. Hahah

7. kahiltna_flock

I get my food at Alaska mill and feed, it is a little more expensive around $22-$24? I haven't bought it in awhile. I stocked up last fall when it was on sale. Our Walmart doesn't sell feed, they do out in wasilla. Alaska mill and feed mixes their own and I try to buy locally when I can. Are you concerned with the bears? I didn't have any issues last summer. I only started my flock in July. I am concerned with them waking this siring and being hungry. May invest in the electric fencing.

8. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

@robopetz
    The tools used so far for this project are pretty cheap circular saw, battery drill, speed square, framing square, level, and a hammer and chisel. I used the modular type because if I want to sell it before I transfer in the coming years i can put some I-bolts on and drag it out of the yard. If I were staying here for the long haul I would have done it with a conventional style framing.

9. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Those feed prices are very comparable to here which is suprising with layer feed at $24 and chick starter at $27.

Bears yeah they are a concern we have had some hanging around town last fall and all the way up to December. There is a Boar that has gotten pretty smart and has managed to get to 10 foot according to the fish and game guys he's real smart. He got into my empty trach cans and chewed on one of them lol, those cans were within 10 feet of my front door and 45 feet from the coops location. I have a 6 foot fence not sure that will stop something that turn dumpsters over for a living. I may consider electric but I put the coop in a good spot for me to take a shot if need to. There was actually a bear killed here last fall getting into a guys chicken coop. So time will tell.

10. kahiltna_flock

There is also a group on Facebook called Alaska farm and food. A lot if folks who have been farming and raising chickens and other animals for years. It helps having people in the same geographic area to help answer questions too. You have to send in a 'request' to join. It's nice to have multiple sources of info.

11. Keith

Keith New Member

Looks like you are off to a great start! Look forward to watching the progress.

12. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Got some more work done over the past couple days. Major goal was to get the coop and run roofed and I finished that up tonight with the help of the floodlights out back lol. I'll post a pick of the roof tomorrow. Goal for tomorrow is flooring and maybe some walls and if my sheet metal guy gets my other in bent for the trim around the roof that would be great.

coop floor.jpg
    This is the framing for the floor.
    coop roof.jpg
    The roof rafters in place.
    coop roof 2.jpg
    1x4 boards that tin roof will be screwed to.
    coop roof 3.jpg
    Eves trimmed with 2x6 treated lumber.

13. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Of course it started raing sometime last night but thats ok cause the roof is on. Still have to do the eave trim across the front and down the sides.

Green tin standing seam roof I got from a local roofer.
    Coop Metal Roof.jpg

14. rob

rob New Member

looking great, looking foreward to seeing it complete.

15. kahiltna_flock

You have no snow....

16. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Thanks Rob I'm looking forward to completion as well.

Yeah no snow it was a different story last year. This year has been a more typical Kodiak winter rain broken up by some clear cloudless cold days with some snow here and there.

17. dandmtritt

dandmtritt Junior Member

Well we had a break in the rainy weather and had a good solid 4 days of clear cold below freezing weather. We got some good progress made to include the flooring plywood down, all four walls framed and two walls covered with osb. So this morning get up to a blizzard so I'm on hold for a bit I guess. Below are pics of the progress. I was able to aquire some old green house double pane windows just the glass no frame for $5 each so there will be two windows and a 2' 6" inch wide door in the front, and of couse a small door for the ladies to get into their run which is 12"X18". The run will also have a 2'X6" door as well and I will be using 1/2" harware cloth to fence in the run from bottom to top.

Flooring Down.jpg
    3/4" tongue and groove plywood flooring down.
    1st Wall Up.jpg
    Back wall up. With my #1 helper Clay. He's a trooper as long as he can work with Dad he don't ever complain. Not sure why he's leaning lol.
    Framing Walls.jpg
    Inner wall up with door for hens and window opening framed. With helper #2 Emma not so much a trooper once her hands get cold she's gone lol.
    Wall Framing 2.jpg
    Outer Wall framed and up. This wall has a window.
    Coop Front.jpg
    Front wall framed and up, this wall has the door opening.
    Coop Back.jpg
    Back wall with OSB Sheathing up and done.
    Coop Side.jpg
    End wall sheathed with OSB. I'll cut the window hole out later.

18. kahiltna_flock

Very nice. I wish mine had windows. Oh well,it was free. They don't spend too much time in there when its light out anyway. Great progress.

19. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Member

Well maybe Clay is standing straight and it's the coop that's leaning? :D

The build quality looks like you do construction for a living. Excellent job.

20. rob

rob New Member

coming on great, looks nice and solid.