Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today or tomorrow I will be getting my new babies in the mail! 10 assorted silkies, 5 assorted rare egg layers, 1 meal maker! I'll post pictures as soon as they arrive! I'm so eggcited!!

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to give such bad news....but I went to the post office to pick up my babies and they were all dead but 1,
I immediately called http://www.meyerhatchery.com/available_now.a5w?aid=99......and they told me alot of times they don't survive the trip in the cold,
Which pissed me off cause they should have told me this and I would have waited for warmer weather! They told me they could get more out to me tomorrow,
I was like really and get another box of dead chicks, I don't think so!
So we set up for them to resend my order in 2-3 wks when the weather is more tolerable

But......as I was taking them to the garbage I seen a little silkie take a breath, so I immediately got her out and put her under the heat lamp, and used a eye dropper to give her water, it really didn't look good, but I just went into the bathroom to check on them and she is ALIVE! , up and moving around! Which is great!

So out of a order of 16 I have 2 survivors as of right now, hopefully I got them in time!

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the pictures!

image-1404070064.jpg

She's alive!

image-3669283105.jpg

Sadly here are the ones that didn't make it,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So sad! I just posted on another thread here about how those poor chicks go from hatching directly to boxing immediately. Then the traveling and temp changes and trampling. It's common here at my local feed store when they order chicks from mainland. Cause of the warmer weather in Hawaii it's hard on the chicks with the temp change. So sorry! But so glad to hear that you have some survivors. Those are some precious chicks you have there, came a long way.

And.... What a duty to do to find your almost whole shipment to be not breathing then having to discard them. That's a horrible task if you ask me. Sorry you had to go through that.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
A good thing to feed them right now is some hard boiled egg yolk. If you have some eggs from your chickens it would be better. Right before the chicks hatch they consume the egg yolk from the egg and that is how they have the strength and energy to survive three days without food and water for shipping. Egg yolk is the food they just ate, and it is good to give them as soon as they arrive.

So sorry, you sometimes order well in advance, but you can't ever guess on the weather. Poor little things. I like to get my babies in late April so they can be outside at 3 weeks in May on warm days.

·
977 Posts
Amanda , sorry to hear this. That had to been awful. Glad you saved 1. Now they will have each other! Good luck with your next order.

·
Registered
34 Posts
amandahalterman said:
Here are the pictures!

She's alive!

Sadly here are the ones that didn't make it,
That's so awful :( but they're absolutely gorgeous, we currently have one silky cockerel chick, I love him to bits, I'd be devastated if that happened to me, I hope all is well with the two little survivors! Their perfect, well done on the little lady,

·
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I canceled the order for the remaining chicks to be shipped! These ones are already getting so big, meyerhatchery gave me a hard time saying they weren't refunding my shipping, which is bs, since I got all dead chicks
After arguing I got my full refund

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Wow! To have the gall to argue when you got that awful shipment!!! That had to be so hard on you and the kids! What a relief you noticed the one breathing in time. Glad you have the 2 sweeties to enjoy. :) For them to argue about refunding the shipment? That's just ignorant! Glad you got your $ back in the end. You didn't need or deserve the headaches to get it. :mad:

·
chicken bum
136 Posts
Need to be good business owners and treat customers right...word of mouth of bad business spreads on this forum for sure..we ARE family here right!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts