Chicken Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone,were from sunny Scotland in Inverness,were planning on buying some baby chicks or fertilised eggs,which would you go with for a first timer? I've done a lot of reading and research but I believe in experience over books,that's where you guys come in,please help :)

·
Banned
825 Posts
Go with the chicks !
You can learn/experiment with hatching fertilized eggs later. (It is not often successful in the first few tries.)
ALSO...get STANDARD...Common Breeds at first...that are well-proven. ( less hassle )
and ENJOY the BEGINNING !
THEN later...get involved in the more interesting and difficult ( sometimes ) pursuits.
( You'll
THEN have a "better idea" of just WHAT it is that YOU wish to do...)

1st. START-OFF EASY.
2nd. THEN go where you choose with it.
3rd. Keep a NOTEBOOK daily......
.....because you will appreciate it later ! :D

just MY 2-pesos worth, :)
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much :) we have a few hatcheries here in Scotland I think I'll give them a call today,this is something we have always wanted to do,and this forum popped up on google,it's fantastic! Speak soon :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eek just called our local poultry farm and will be going to visit soon,any hints or tips?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
For a first timer I totally suggest chicks ! Hatching eggs is not as easy as it seems and it will be a complete waste of your money if they dont hatch. Good luck on which ever you choose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good Luck, you are going to have great fun with chickens. We have our first batch of chicks now and they are so entertaining.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
How fun! New baby chicks and you get to pick them too! Nothing like getting your first chicks. You'll never regret the decision to get them. They are adorable, entertaining, friendly, smart, make you breakfast most days, and simply addicting!

·
Registered
159 Posts
One piece of advise! Have your coop and chicken run ready before you get them. It becomes a major rush when you have the chicks but the run and coop aren't ready. Trust me! Dealing with that now!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you ,we're all set up here in Inverness ,cant wait to meet and watch our new additions grow,I had a neighbour that had chickens in an old house we lived in,and I adored them,can't wait :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts