Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring/summer I have a number of new additions to my flock. These, my wife brought home to me as 5 week old chicks. I had a small flock of peafowl 40 years ago and do not remember much about them other than the neighbors loved/hated them depending on what the birds had done that day. They are siblings and I'm thinking there's one cock and two hens going by their behavior and plumage. The one I think is a cock has a barred back, rusty colored wing feathers, struts/displays, and I've seen him mount the other two as though they were mating; a bit precocious as I understand that peacocks are not sexually mature until their third year????
(pictures were taken yesterday not 2016 as it says on the photo) or does that say 2018??

Bird Beak Galliformes Feather Fence
Bird Vertebrate Beak Phasianidae Galliformes

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Those are nice Peafowl, what strain are they?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are nice Peafowl, what strain are they?
India blue. I have them in an elevated cage off the ground to attempt to keep them from getting any disease from the other poultry. This is the second cage and they will soon outgrow it. At some point they will be released into the yard. How touchy are they as far as sickness is concerned? My flock of years ago shared quarters with my other species of birds and I do not remember having any illness among them.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The breeder my wife got them from suggested we keep them off the ground until they're 4-5 months old; which will be soon. He believes their immune systems will better cope with cocci at that time-hope he's right.

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
I've come to think that cocci is more a problem in some areas than others. Even with newly hatched chicks, using unmedicated feed, I never had a problem. But that's where I used to live. Who knows if that holds true here.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do a lot of people keep Peafowl around you?
I'm not sure your post is asking me or Robin and I am not sure if there are others around me with peafowl or not. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about incorporating the peachicks with the rest of the flock with the least chance of failure possible. Are peafowl, when young, more susceptible to cocci than other forms of poultry or is that breeder an alarmist?

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
PJ, knows I don't keep peafowl. I have Guineas for game birds.

And PJ would have to answer you question on the Peafowl and cocci. I think any of them that haven't been introduced to it would be susceptible to it. I would say a cautious breeder and wanting you to be successful.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
I agree with Robin, perhaps a cautious breeder. I have not heard that Peafowl are specifically more susceptible to cocci. I usually try to integrate my birds when they feather out and the weather is safe. I haven't kept any birds off the ground in almost fifty years. My birds tend to do better when they spend time together while young. I have one Peafowl named Baby who was the only one hatched from his clutch. He is very tame and wanted to be in the house a lot and not with his peers or the other birds. I worked on placing him in the runs for afternoons and then during the course of the day. He has been outside for six days now and we are working on coop training at night.

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
He's actually doing okay. He hangs out with the three small Peafowl and the two Eastern Wild Turkeys. The hens are bullying him less and I think he is beginning to understand he is bigger than they are. The EWTs have always been coop trained but last night I had to place the four Peafowl and one EWT in the coop because they wanted to perch outside of it.

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
That last batch of Peafowl were hatched on August 13th but they are feathered and we'll see how they do in the new coop. So far, okay, I'm trying to ease them into it.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for your replies. It helps me to not be so unsure about releasing the young birds from the cage. Guineas may be my next addition in the spring. Fascinating birds!

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
Be prepared, they're different. That's putting it mildly, btw. But we all have our weaknesses when it comes to certain species, mine is guinea fowl.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these peafowl babies all grown up.

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
I know they're in TN. I had one fly in front of my truck on Summertown Highway going into Hohenwald. I have no clue if the folks that had them are still in business and unfortunately I don't remember their farm name. I remember they got flooded out after Katrina came through.

1 - 20 of 220 Posts