Never leave the coop

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by sarahjanelutz, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

I have six chickens (about 20 wks - not laying yet) and we have a new lovely coop with a beautiful outside run we just moved them into five days ago. Too many predators around our place to free range them. They adjusted right away and have already discovered the nesting boxes. Are enjoying the new feeder, roost, etc. We live in Oregon and the temperatures are still 80's during the day and dropping into the high forties at night. I can't seem to get them to leave the coop is the problem. They come out when I scrap them in the morning and when I visit them in the afternoon, but after I leave they seem to retreat to the coop. They seem fine otherwise. Is this common for this time of year, or is something wrong?

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I think they are just figuring things out. They don't realize how great bring out can be yet. From what you say they were raised indoors. Give them a little time. Maybe throw out some scratch for them outside so they get the idea. Maybe put some perches in the run (jungle gym) for enrichment. Sit back and watch chicken TV while they figure it out.

3. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

No actually they have been in a temporary run and very much outside all summer. So this shouldn't be new to them. I am thinking that they love the inside part so much that they don't want to be outdoors any more. The run is 10 x 20 and the coop is 4 x 10. They have a roost in the outside run and also food and water out there. There is also a roost inside and food and water, so each place has what they should need.

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Maybe they like the shade? Send out some photos and let us all have a look. As long as they are happy, I guess it is just their habit. LOL:roll eyes:

BTW we need a photo of you too.

5. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

They are situated in a wonderful shady spot although the attached picture shows them in early morning sun. Well I won't worry a bunch until I never see them ::)

Attached Files:

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That's an amazing setup! Wow! I think they might just be overwhelmed by it all.

7. rob

rob New Member

very nice set up that. nice job.

8. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

Thanks! I had a guy in Sweet Home, Oregon build it. It has a very cool room on the side for storage and access to nest boxes, food, etc. It even has a lovely little PVC pipe that you can put their food in and it shoots right into the inside coop for them. I just love it and my husband has now added steps and done a love rock wall. :)

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

:)I think those babies are just enjoying their fancy new mansion. ;) Lots of room for them to play inside & out. Lucky kids!