Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What nesting box should I get? 5 chicks, just getting ready, under $100 bucks?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a designated place. I've seen 10 gallon buckets on their sides used for nesting boxes.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
My girls have had stacked milk crates with a basin held inside with a bungee cord! They don't care. They just want a place to cozy down and leave that sweet egg. Sometimes it doesn't matter there are "other" nests available. Only one specific nest will do on that particular day. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
7chicks said:
My girls have had stacked milk crates with a basin held inside with a bungee cord! They don't care. They just want a place to cozy down and leave that sweet egg. Sometimes it doesn't matter there are "other" nests available. Only one specific nest will do on that particular day. :p
Lol!!! :):):)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shouldn't they all have their own box though?

·
Banned
825 Posts
I just screwed together some scrap plywood and painted it. ( 2 boxes )
They are easy to remove from the coop and easy to clean when necessary.
I put about 4 inches of dried hay in the bottom of each ( there's a 4-inch plywood front lower-lip on each box to retain the hay ).
They are approx. 14 inches wide, 16 inches deep, and 12 inches high ......if memory serves correctly.
My hens seemed to know what they were for.....instinctively. ??? go figure. ???

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a big ol' tire work?

·
Registered
23 Posts
We had geese that would make a nest in a tire that was around. Chickens might as well. I love all the hens piled in one nest!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts