Nesting Boxes

Discussion in 'Broody Hens & Egg Laying' started by Jenny Erickson, Aug 24, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I don't really see any difference. That said, egg color can vary from one girl to another even within the same breed. I saw that with my Silkies.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

And contemplate the Zen Hen koan, "A chicken is an egg's attempt to make the next egg".

3. robin416

OK, it's too early for me to work that one out. Or maybe I'm not supposed to?

4. Poultry Judge

It's like a riddle. If anyone figures it out, they will experience Chicken Sartori or Enlightenment and be at one with the Chicken Universe!

5. robin416

Man, that's too deep for me. I think I'll leave it alone or I just might drive myself a little more batty. :p

6. danathome

danathome Active Member

Another, what came 1st...

An egg develops, grows, and becomes a... chicken, who lays the "next" egg.

I really need to get a life. THIS is my excuse for not doing chores I do not want to do.

As to nesting boxes, I give a variety, different sizes, different shapes, at different heights, and put up a new one often to give the rooster something to check out and call the hens to. Often, that new nest has an egg laid in it the very first day. I like the tote idea as it would be easy to keep clean. Here are some things I have used as nest boxes; old tires, dog/cat crates, pails, flower pots, milk crates, soup and salad bowls, dog dishes, cardboard boxes, wooden boxes, diaper pails,... and plastic totes. The plastic totes/tubs work great for bigger birds like my turkeys who often make their nests out in the woodlot. Once I find their nest I put it in a plastic tub on location. Then when the hen goes broody, I pick her up and move her to a safe place to hatch her eggs. One year in the midst of winter the safe location was the whirl pool tub. Of her 18 eggs, every one hatched.

t12.jpg

7. robin416

The girls really are not picky, most of the time if it holds an egg it's a nest.

I know all about finding excuses for not doing chores. That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

8. danathome

danathome Active Member

The girls really are not picky, most of the time if it holds an egg it's a nest.
    I always have a number of hens brooding at the same time. By having nest containers that don't look alike it avoids the possibility of the hen getting on the wrong nest.
    I know all about finding excuses for not doing chores. That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

This pair decided to nest when they were house guests for a while.

88.jpg

9. danathome

danathome Active Member

Successfully.
    888.jpg

10. robin416

No doubt about it, those little guys are adorable.

11. Poultry Judge

The egg is the perfect little space vehicle in the universe. It's sole mission is to do whatever is necessary to perpetuate the next egg.

danathome and Overmountain1 like this.
  12. robin416

Sometimes you make my head hurt.