Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
My three girls went outside to their coop a few days ago. Having been reared from hatch in my home. They can roost on the perches but they are choosing to sleep in one of the nest boxes. I think they are huddling, although it's not that cold now!
I clear the sleeping areas of poop every morning and I dont mind this, but will it be an issue when they start to lay? If so, how do I stop them sleeping on the nesting box?
This is my first brood and I am very proud of them! I am happily looking forward to doing it all over again in the future and would really appreciate any advice! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
To break them of the sleeping in nest box habit, block the nests at bedtime, and set them on the perch if you have to. I had to do this for my Ameraucana and banty too. Both are usually real good about using the perch instead now. Break them of it now because it can be an issue later making for some really icky eggs. ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, thank you so much! Just been out to put them to bed and done just that (to some rather cross clucking, I have to say!!)
Thank you! X

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Josie and Butterscotch were never happy with me either. :p They've learned though - much to their first disliking - where to go to bed now. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have a couple that sleep in the nest boxes and it hasnt affected my eggs. I also dont place my birds on a perch to sleep, never have, never will. ??? Just curious why sleeping in the nest boxes in bad, and why do they have to perch ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Apyl said:
I have a couple that sleep in the nest boxes and it hasnt affected my eggs. I also dont place my birds on a perch to sleep, never have, never will. ??? Just curious why sleeping in the nest boxes in bad, and why do they have to perch ?
It is natural for the to sleep on a roost. Most game type birds do this. Also if they sleep in the nest boxes the can the eggs covered in poop. And it gets the nest boxes dirtier quicker.

·
Registered
184 Posts
EdisNiksic said:
It is natural for the to sleep on a roost. Most game type birds do this. Also if they sleep in the nest boxes the can the eggs covered in poop. And it gets the nest boxes dirtier quicker.
They* and they*

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the advice! The girls are back in the nest box, as the weather has turned really cold and I think it keeps them warm! I agree that when they are older it'll be easier to not have them in the nest, but as they are still young, I'd rather they huddled and felt warm and safe. X

·
1,466 Posts
like Edis said it is because they will poop in the box
this makes a problem for them because they are now sleeping in a next box with fresh poop in it & it can also lead to you getting sick from eating former poop covered eggs. in the wild they would have slept in a tree on a branch. any poop would have fallen onto the ground.

i have also found that if the nest boxes are higher up then the perch
they will tend to try sleeping in the boxes
i fix this by making the perch higher or the boxes lower.
if all of this fails then start removing them each night from the boxes.
if they wish to spend the night on the floor that's is just fine
more than likely they will stop going into the boxes unless they are there to lay.
if there is something i hate it's a stupid rooster sleeping & pooping in a nest box. he get's removed & yelled at at once.
just like a child they can figure out when you are mad
they will try to please you if they can figure out what you want from them.

good luck
piglett

·
1,466 Posts
Thank you for all the advice! The girls are back in the nest box, as the weather has turned really cold and I think it keeps them warm! I agree that when they are older it'll be easier to not have them in the nest, but as they are still young, I'd rather they huddled and felt warm and safe. X
remove the nest box at once & don't put it back in till they are 20 weeks old.
not doing so will end up with you having a big problem once they do start to lay
now if you plan on putting all the eggs in the trash then i guess it's ok
but we eat ours & give the rest away
i don't want anyone getting sick bacause i didn't do the rite thing

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
piglett said:
remove the nest box at once & don't put it back in till they are 20 weeks old.
not doing so will end up with you having a big problem once they do start to lay
now if you plan on putting all the eggs in the trash then i guess it's ok
but we eat ours & give the rest away
i don't want anyone getting sick bacause i didn't do the rite thing
Firstly, I ask only for advice, not orders or commands. I thank you for your suggestions, but I find your response a little rude. Secondly, I have spoken to other chicken owners who disagree with your opinion and also have valid reasons for theirs. Thirdly, the girls seem intelligent enough. I am not going to 'shout' at them. I don't shout at my dog neither do I shout at my cat. And they are perfectly well behaved. X

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
like Edis said it is because they will poop in the box
this makes a problem for them because they are now sleeping in a next box with fresh poop in it & it can also lead to you getting sick from eating former poop covered eggs. in the wild they would have slept in a tree on a branch. any poop would have fallen onto the ground.

i have also found that if the nest boxes are higher up then the perch
they will tend to try sleeping in the boxes
i fix this by making the perch higher or the boxes lower.
if all of this fails then start removing them each night from the boxes.
if they wish to spend the night on the floor that's is just fine
more than likely they will stop going into the boxes unless they are there to lay.
if there is something i hate it's a stupid rooster sleeping & pooping in a nest box. he get's removed & yelled at at once.
just like a child they can figure out when you are mad
they will try to please you if they can figure out what you want from them.

good luck
piglett
Thats interesting. Sure sometimes I get dirty eggs but I rinse them off. I've never had an egg so covered in poop it was inedible. I am in now way going to start yelling at my flock because they want to sleep in a nest box lol. I guess this is just one of those things that its to each their own.

·
1,466 Posts
Firstly, I ask only for advice, not orders or commands. I thank you for your suggestions, but I find your response a little rude. Secondly, I have spoken to other chicken owners who disagree with your opinion and also have valid reasons for theirs. Thirdly, the girls seem intelligent enough. I am not going to 'shout' at them. I don't shout at my dog neither do I shout at my cat. And they are perfectly well behaved. X
sorry if i came off harsh or rude, that is not what i intended
peace

1 - 14 of 14 Posts