Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor has 2 dogs. This one is an escape artist. I kept feeding her when she came over because if I fed her she wouldn’t go through my trash. Now I can’t get rid of her.

everyday she escapes the first place she comes is my front door. She plays with my siblings and is overall a really sweet pup. She is now showing an interest in my chickens though. I’m worried about that.
Dog Carnivore Felidae Road surface Dog breed

Plant Flower Road surface Fawn Flooring

Dog Carnivore Collar Fawn Dog breed
She is a very pretty and super nice pup. I would keep her if I could. My neighbors don’t care for her much and I’m sure they would get rid of her if it wasn’t a hassle to. But I can’t keep her because my stepdad is really allergic to dogs and we’re in the process of rehoming ours.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, your options are train the dog to leave your chickens alone, or tell the neighbors the dog can't come over anymore or you'll be forced to call animal control.

Personally, I would put her on a leash, get some tasty treats like hot dogs, and then walk her around the chicken enclosure. Reward her for attention to you/ignoring the chickens. They often seem to figure out the chickens are a non-issue and just another weird animal to be ignored. You'll have to rinse and repeat for a while. I believe it was at least a few months before I 100% trusted my dog around the chickens, and it was many slow and carefully supervised introductions with lots of rewards (and then he got pecked in the eye...would not recommend).

It's also going to depend a lot on the individual dog. Some dogs take to the training very well, and once they understand the chickens are not for their pleasure, they never bother them. Some always need to be supervised. Others will simply never be safe around chickens no matter what you do. It's in their genes and they can't help it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think she’s alright around them. She doesn’t chase them around the fence and just kind of lays there checking them out. My chickens are still wary of her but that’s expected.
Plant Sky Cloud Ecoregion Bird

Plant Vertebrate Tire Wheel Bird

Bird Plant Ecoregion Phasianidae Chicken

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think it's an encouraging sign that she's not trying to get through the fence to get at them. My dog started out much the same, though he tried to CLIMB into the brooder to be closer to them and/or eat them when we first brought baby chicks home. I rewarded often for just sitting and watching. I rewarded him for coming away from the brooder when I asked. He was jackpotted with lots of tasty rewards when the chicks went crazy and he just watched. He was allowed to watch from a distance (at first) when I cleaned the brooder, handled the chicks, etc, rewarded and praised all the time for behavior I liked. It also helps if you reward the chickens when the dog is around. If they're not running around scared, dogs are less likely to feel the need to chase them.

Also note, my dog had a strong obedience background before I started this, and he's been with me nearly all his life. This dog isn't your dog, and I doubt she's had prior training, but she seems sweet and probably eager to please. She may take very well to it if it's something you want to try. I would be working with her outside the fence first since she seems to respect the barrier, then leash up and try inside when she seems to be responding well to you and seems less interested in the chickens. If she goes insane immediately when inside the enclosure, it means she's not ready and needs more time working on her skills at a safe distance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts