Neighbors complaining about chickens

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by earlyt89, Sep 7, 2012.

1. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Have had a few of my neighbors praise my birds for the severe reduction in bugs and Mosquitos. But now I have one neighbor saying that my birds got onto her property. But yet there's a wire fence up that blocks my chickens from her yard. An the flowers that she complained my birds were ruining are all the way on the other side of her property. And at the time of the complaint I counted off and all the birds were in my yard. I live in the country but have 1 close neighbor. Have no limitations on animals. What should I do when someone lies to the cops? I yea she called the cops

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Any chance you could post a camera on your yard? Any complaints you could show the time and date and exactly where your birds were. Or if they are getting out and visiting her yard, you'll see where and you can plug up the hole and appologise. Just a suggestion.

3. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

check for their tracks.. unless she wiped them away they should stay there for a while.. i can certainly tell where my gals have scratched in the flowers.. however.. they are after the bugs which is nice... ......
    leave her a pile of poo on her doorstep? oh wait, that would be mean..... no dont do that! GET A ROOSTER and put it in a cage under her bedroom window... with a light that comes on every 10 minutes... oh wait, no thats mean too...

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

My chickens were not in her yard. There is a fence with holes they can't penetrate. And I have woods that they scratch around in so they didn't need to venture for food. I have had problems with this neighbor in the past. Thought about penning all my roosters near the fence by her house. A real wake up call. But we counted my birds and they were all present. But this woman will stop at nothing to make us miserable. It's a long argument between the families. I'm looking for property somewhere else. I have only lived here for a year. And she calle the cops about my dog barking. We rescued a horse and she called cuz he was skinny 2 days after we rescued him. I just don't have any peace. She ran up to the fence and hit it with a broom to aggravate my dog. I just want peace.

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I just thought having photographic proof would help you. It sounds like this little crick runs deeper though. Do the police realize she's a PIA? A lot of times they know but they have to follow up anyway. You know, Andy Griffith like.

You think it might help to talk to the police. Like just go down to the station and talk to an officer about her harassing your dog and you for that matter? Like you making a Complaint against her?

Or do you know any lawyer friends or family members who are lawyers who would be willing to write you a letter to her? Sort of cease and desist type if thing?

I'm just brain storming here. Maybe someone else will have a story or a better idea to help you out.

She sounds like a PIA running and ruining everyone else's life.

6. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Have you tried to talk to her, or is that impossible? I would, (and that's just me) tell her sorry about flowers and please call me if this happens again. I would bake for her and buy her some more flowers. Kill her with kindness. and if that don't work, go with the roosters!! I hope it all works out!!

7. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

Win her over , have her over for eggs at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Give her some eggs or a chicken as a peace offering. Try to talk to her like an adult, find out what her problem is. If that is the way she is, than don't worry about it. There is nothing she can do, or you can do, except move, or force her to move. Other than that I am glad I don't have neighbors.

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

You slap somebody with a wet possum you get their attention and respect.. Its worked for me countless times... Just a thought...

9. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I think the camera idea is a good one. A trail cam is perfect. People are crazy these days. Apologize for something you're not guilty of and they just think they won. She probably has rabbits or something getting her flowers and is apparently too dumb to notice. Hate small minded people! She cannot sit there an harrass you unless she wants to be served with a civil suit. Might need to use that trump card. Make the fence electric so the next time she touches it, she gets a good zap! If you set up a trail cam, you'll have dated pictures that will give you some good proof for the next time an issue arises. You can then just say "smile honey, you're on camera; thanks for the proof!" I hate neighbors like this. I have them myself and they can make life absolutely miserable. When mine would patrol the fence line, I'd sit back smile & wave. I also ran my mouth on the crappy stunts he & his wife were pulling. Word got back to them and they knocked it off. Too embarrassed to show their face near my house after that.

10. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I have tried to be nice to her, invite her over from dinner. The whole town knows this woman is crazy. Her kids school won't even allow her up there because she starts trouble with the school board. I have talked to the police over a month ago and tried to get a no contact order. But the Sherrif just called and warned her. I get along with her husband just fine. So now my chickens are mad at me cuz I won't let them outside. I had to block the door and push them back in. And they just gave me a confused look. The coop and the run are large but I don't think it's enough room for my birds.

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Go with the wet possum or the lawyer. They're pretty much the same thing anyway. Lol. Keep your chin up!

(BTW - invite her husband over for breakfast and not her.)

12. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I'm just going to put up a higher fence. The sheriff also told me that there's nothing the police can do besides ask me to get them back over. There is no fine, or criminal sentence. It's a free range bird. He said you can't complain about an owl or hawk flying over your property or eating a cat.

13. camel934

camel934 New Member

I believe the law suit over harassment may be your best bet. We've all met a**holes like these before. Almost nothing will stop them. Here in Pennsylvania, they passed the Castle Law. I had one neighbor that was really out of control; even to the point of threatening me. I'm an old Army Sergeant: you think I'm intimidated? Lol! Since passing the Castle Law, I explained one day what coming onto my property and threatening me would entail. He has not been back in two months. I love the 2nd Amendment!!! Lol
    Not that I feel threats should be involved, bit I do think Harassment charges may be in order. Check with a lawyer.

14. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

depending on where you live as well all know Turkeys and deer can do a number on gardens as well. If there is a fence and if she didn't see them actually in her garden then she has no case. The other thing you can do which is what I do is just let them out of the run about an hour or 2 before they go in for the night and do a little yard work or just sit and have a beer while you watch them this way you can make sure they stay in your yard (even though they never left in the first place) and they can still forage for bugs and eat some grass and weeds.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Must be nice to be that secure. I've never been that secure.

16. redmaples

redmaples Junior Member

depending on where you live as well all know Turkeys and deer can do a number on gardens as well. If there is a fence and if she didn't actually see them in her garden then she has no case. The other thing you can do which is what I do(so my birds don't destroy my wife's gardens) is just let them out of the run about an hour or 2 before they go in for the night and do a little yard work or just sit and have a beer while you watch them this way you can make sure they stay in your yard (even though they never left in the first place) and they can still forage for bugs and eat some grass and weeds.

17. BootedBantam

BootedBantam New Chicken Mom

Wow...sueing neighbors over chickens. So much to learn in chicken land. I truely believe random acts of kindness is better. Although I have ran into my share of a-holes, too. My neighbor across the street was my big worry, she complained to me about my dogs, just because the breed scared her. She has never met them, only seen them. I have been going over saying Hi, giving her food from garden, and trying to create small talk. I saw her resistance. Since the roo showed up, she is my fear. We are good neighbors now, I broke her down. She doesn't complain anymore and I braided her hair for her yesterday. (she mentioned she loved my braids) I plan to share my eggs with her, and pray she doesn't call the chicken police. Communication with neighbors is important. It only takes one phone call to get chicken police involved.

I am happy this worked out for you and the law was in your favor. Good luck to the Early Couple and their farm animals.

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I try to live by example. Sometimes that works. Sometimes (too often) I am eaten alive. I try to live by example.

19. ChickenAdmin

ChickenAdmin Administrator Staff Member

i'd give her some eggs as a peace offer, but the second she gets out of line tell her to call the cops.

After so long they will tell her to stop calling.

20. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

I the police know she's crazy too. She calls for everything. She called about the neighborhood raccoons tipping over trash cans. Hey Austin, we need a chicken police decal!!!!