Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors have chickens they let free range all over the neighborhood. I've never seen chickens go this far from their coop.

Should I take precautions to keep them from mingling with mine? I'm concerned there will be fighting.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the fighting, I would worry about health issues. You never know whats going around in another flock. Thats why its so important to quarentine when bringin in new birds. Also it is interesting the chickens are wondering so far from home.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Both neighbors on either side of me have chickens. One is a fenced in yard they roam around in and the other is wide open. Last week they came over and tore up a bunch of my tulips in the front yard. Mine are still baby's but I ensure they stay in the backyard. My girlfriend just replaced a bunch of flowers in the front yard yesterday so if I catch them in my yard again ill put them in my smoker

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I was instantly thinking the same thing Apyl - potential health problems. All I thought was if that's how well cared for those chickens are, who know what illnesses they are carrying. I'd be calling animal control if it was a repeated problem. Its not worth risking your own flock getting diseased or sick from.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have neighbors. One of them has chickens but they are not free range. Mine are. But they have NEVER left my yard. It isn't fenced in. I figured they just always stayed close to home. Guess this isn't the case. I would be afraid of illness too.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are two houses down and both groups merge in the neighbor in the middles house.

They do go far though. He has some adventuresome chickens.

·
Banned
825 Posts
They are two houses down and both groups merge in the neighbor in the middle's house.

They do go far though. He has some adventuresome chickens.
Perhaps....THAT neighbor's chickens aren't getting enough FEED at home ? :confused:

I sometimes let MY chickens into my front yard (fenced) so that they can scrounge weed-seeds and grass if they choose. ( usually...they just pick at my garlic leaves ! )

Loving GARLIC, mine must be "Mediterannean Chickens" ! :D

Ha-Ha !
ReTIRED-:)

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I've had some that wander VERY far away. My first flock of 9 hens loved to go on day hikes. They would cross the road and wander up through the little camp that was there and into the woods, up the hill. They also went down the creek bed (dry year and the creek stopped flowing) and my daughter and I followed their conversation sounds from the road. They made it a good quarter mile to my neighbors yard. But they came out of the creek bed, into the grass and started mingling when all of a sudden they all stopped and looked up (at the neighbors house) and then as fast as they could they ran back to the creek bed and scurried home!! My daughter and I had a long laugh over that one!!

My flock now doesn't wander too far. When I first moved to this house (next to the train tracks) the chickens routinely went up and over the tracks and into the pine woods beyond. Back then the train only came through at night, then it switched to during the day. I think this stopped them from crossing the tracks because they rarely cross them now. I have had hens cross the tracks to make nests and lay eggs. My son saw a hen VERY far away when he was walking and told me. We wandered around where he had seen her and ended up finding a nest with green chicken eggs. She was traveling about a quarter mile each day to lay her egg!! I still have hens lay eggs around, but none are traveling that far anymore.

I do agree with reTIRED though, they may be wandering just because they aren't fed constantly, I have had days when the feeder was low and my chickens would maybe dig more, but they never wandered more. It could just be the flock, some wander and some don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Today was the last straw. After replacing the flowers in our front yard garden 3 times we came home from the zoo today to find our flowers were once again torn out and chicken poop all over the driveway. I talked to my neighbor and they don't seem to care. Chicken season just opened today and their is no bag limit. They don't seem to care if I shoot them if I catch them in my yard again so I will. I have no problem filling my freezer with some free range hens

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm sorry but that just seems very rash. You need to approach more demanding. Fence along your property or replacement for all the damage and cleanup, or they'll have to go. Police can and will be involved. Tall in a directing stern voice. Explain all the damage that is being done and that it needs to stop. Or you can always capture them and rehome them as strays.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with msj. Those chickens don't know what they are doing wrong because they have a terrible owner. Get a fence or even better claim them as your own lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not going to lie. I was a little fired up and a few homebrews deep when I wrote that. It was mainly venting. I'm not going to shoot them. I'm not going to pay for a fence to keep them out either. I wouldn't expect my neighbors to put a fence up to keep my chickens out of their yards I would expect them to come talk to me like I did in this situation. Next time I catch them in my yard they will be mine

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you feed your nieghbor's chickens they won't go home.

Health? Well, I would not be to concerned, both flocks are "open". Wild birds (sparrows, wrens, whatever) have contact with both flocks. If your nieghbor's birds are that close your birds already have whatever they are going to get from them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would call that a bad neighbor. It is rude and requires a sense of entitlement. His chickens are his property and therefore an extension of himself which means it is no different than him going to your yard himself, digging things up and pooping all over the place.

I had a tree fall on my fence and was a bit slow getting it fixed. My chickens began to wander (despite lots of food and treats in their yard) and I ended up losing a couple to a neighborhood dog. Shame on me for not acting more quickly. My birds should not have been allowed to wander into other people's yards. It is that simple. Not only was I responsible for the death of two of my girls, but it was also rude to let them wander into other people's yards/gardens. And that was just one week between the storm and rebuilding the fence (I didn't have time until the weekend).

Anyway, your neighbor is rude and is responsible for cleaning the poop from the driveway, replacing your flowers and anything else that the birds ruin. I have, with bad dog owners, returned the poop that they left in my yard to them, "here you go; you forgot this in my yard."

PS I am a chicken lover. I love my girls. I am worse than the craziest of cat people, but I do believe in being responsible.

·
Banned
825 Posts
dcfrenkel.....
Quote: PS I am a chicken lover. I love my girls. I am worse than the craziest of cat people, but I do believe in being responsible.Unquote.

Being a "cat people"...can you tell me HOW you are able to keep your CATS at home ?
( MY neighbor's cats consistently invade my property ! It irritates me AND my Boxer-Dog. Not to mention the scratching of the paint on my vehicle.) My Boxer has actually followed them back over my 6 foot wooden fence....and then HE is the culprit who gets a ticket from the County Animal-Control people ! What a CROCK of ....... !~!
-ReTIRED- :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Not to interject but in the US cats who are allowed outside usually only live to be 2-5 years old usually getting run over by cars or eaten by predatory wildlife, compared to strict house cats who live on average 15 years. Besides this unless you have a cat as a mouser letting it loose on wildlife is usually disastrous. Little killers like to slaughter birds, chipmunks, anything small enough to get their teeth around - this has even caused a few cases of extinction. :(

My cats enjoy fresh air in sun in an outdoor enclosure I made much like a chicken run (which they can go inside or outside at their own will.) Sadly a lot of people do not share my opinion on the matter....

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well i talked to my neighbor about his practices and they seem to be on par with mine, just on a larger scale.

He has 50 on an acre. I had only seen the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

·
Registered
64 Posts
dcfrenkel.....
Quote: Being a "cat people"...can you tell me HOW you are able to keep your CATS at home ?"

Don't know what to say except that the same goes for cats. If your neighbor is aware of the problem and does nothing; rude, bad neighbor who is responsible for any damage that the cat causes.
I did not claim to be a cat person. I just said that my obsession with chickens rivals that of cat people's obsession with cats.
I do have a cat and he stays in my yard. I am not sure why he doesn't roam except that he is cautious and I have a big yard with lots of wooded area around.
If he went into a neighbor's yard and caused problems, you better believe I would do something about it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not to interject but in the US cats who are allowed outside usually only live to be 2-5 years old usually getting run over by cars or eaten by predatory wildlife, ....
I grew up with outdoor cats. They lived to be 19 and 21 years old and died of old age. My sister has a 17 year old outdoor cat... I could go on and on...
I can't imagine my guy being confined to indoors all the time. He would be miserable. He gets really upset when he can't get out.
And cats have never caused an extinction. Yes, they hunt, but they kill far fewer animals than the hawks and owls and coyotes, etc around; certainly not enough to cause any extinction.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts