Napoleon

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Energyvet, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Came home to find my head Roo, Napoleon dead in the backyard. Killed by a hawk. I'm very sad but proud that he died defending his flock. But now I'm looking for a gentle Roo to take over the watch. Anyone looking to rehome?

RIP Napoleon. :-(

Attached Files:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I'm sooo sorry EV!!! Gosh you just have had one thing after another for the past year! :mad:

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Might have to cry about this one. My heart hurts. :-(

4. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

Well that is sad. So sorry for your loss.

5. rob

rob New Member

just read about him on facebook, sorry to hear he has passed.

6. robopetz

robopetz New Member

Oh no! Sorry to hear. He did what he was proud to do for his human.

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

He did what he did for his ladies. I keep thinking should I have kept them in a cage? But they were so happy to putter around the yard. Just wish he would have had some back up. I'm not about sacrificing Roos. But I just don't feel like a cage is the answer. I'm trying to hook up with some new Roos now. Feel like the ladies are vulnerable.

8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

Oh no, I'm so sorry!! What about an electronic owl? Something to scare the hawks off. It will freak out the chickens, but scare the hawks, too.

9. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

EV , sorry to hear about your boy! He was a handsome, brave fellow. I have some young Roos on Craigslist for free but Alton, NH is a little far to drive from NJ! Hope you get a good ole boy soon. Hawks will come back if they know they can get a meal . Had a hawk come back 2 days in a row for a meal. Got one both times but the second time he had a close call if you know what I mean!

10. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I was thinking of putting them in the cage until I can get another Roo. That was my thought too and now they are vulnerable. Damn hawks are so wasteful too.

11. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I just prefer to keep mine safe in their run while I'm gone. If I'm home, then they can free-range WITH the big dog outside to supervise! It would just hurts way too much to lose one those little feathered friends. Quite often, they prefer to be in their run anyway. Its plenty roomy enough and a safe haven for them. They can go play in their house or in their run; whatever their wish may be. With the bitter cold we're getting, they are content to snuggle in their house. High of 0 for my area tomorrow. Brrrr!

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Well it's been in the 50's and they free range my fenced back yard. My run is small but now that I'm down to 4, 2 of which are Bantams, they can be in the small run I purchased when I first got them. I feel terrible either way. Confined, or outside. And until I get a replacement Roo, and do the quarantine, it's likely to be 2 weeks before we can start over. I have 4 days to come to terms with it all. Most frustrating is contacting people that have Roos they want to rehome and having to wait. If I could just go get someone, I would have some plan going forward. I did change my hatchery order though. Instead of Marens, I'm getting 3 female and one male Jersey Giants. See how the Hawk likes a Giant going after him. That's the best strategy I can come up with. Chickens too big to kill or carry. These bantams are cute but they are just too easy to kill. My Silkie Roo stepped right up to the job today. He's supervising everyone including me. He's got a big attitude. I miss my Napoleon.

13. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Are you sending me some of those 50's temps??? :D Its been such a bitter winter here this year. :mad: I know you do the best you can for your feathered babies. That's why they love you too! I just don't like seeing you be hurt. You've had enough hurt for 2012 and I want 2013 to be a happy one for you. This is a lousy way for 2013 to start. :mad: A Jersey Giant? Boy that'll do some butt whooping damage to any ole hawk! :D

14. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I lost a hen to a hawk once, sorry to hear of your loss. I would give you one of my roosters if you were closer. I put out a plastic owl, havent lost one since then.

15. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Plastic owl. On the fence post? Send me a photo of your owl.

16. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I have 2 of them EV. They haven't worked for me. =/ Biggest help I've had is Lily the German Shep and the crows that hang around here.

17. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

The crows used to help a lot. Not sure where they have been lately. When I sit outside I hear them. Lately, not so much. Worth a try and can't be too expensive. I think the Jersey Giant solution is my best option.

18. Jim

Jim New Member

Hey 7chicks. We have been looking at for a big dog, and seen some German shepards. Was your hard to train, is it best to start with a pup?

EV, very sorry to hear of the loss, that is one of my biggest fears, next to the stray cats.

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Doubled my flock yesterday. 5 new chickens to replace that lost Roo. Got a deal on two silkie hens and a Roo and also got a polish Roo and what looks like a Game Roo. The silkies are hand raised but those two new Roos are crazy, panicky, and bad mannered.

20. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Here they are!

Attached Files: