Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this one brahma that just won't feather. They are a little over 5 weeks old and he is so freaky looking!! I've googled this and haven't found a decent answer. I was told it could be "self preservation due to a more dominant roo" but I have 4 roosters and he's the only one that is doing this. Any ideas? He eats and drinks just fine. Very cuddly but I think it might be because he likes the warmth from our hands on his skin.

image-2885314632.jpg

These are both dark brahma Roos same age.

image-2676314202.jpg

image-1971333310.jpg

image-3073374127.jpg

image-3948948977.jpg

image-128035354.jpg

His feet are crazy feathered as well. Like way way more than the others. It's so strange!!

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha he is very sweet, but like I said I think he likes cuddles because he has nothing to keep him warm. He had tons of fluff for a while but now that's coming off and he's just bald!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
PeeWee took foreeeever to get her feathers in. I think it was over a month past the time her "siblings" got feathers. She also had a growth issue too so I don't know... but I don't think it's much to be concerned about unless there are other problems showing up. PeeWee was a Light Brahma from McMurray's so there's no real way of knowing what was behind her genetically speaking. Maybe yours is just a late bloomer too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is keeping up in size just bald bald bald! Haha I almost hope it's not a roo so we can keep it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are they the same age? Did they come from the same place? Sorta looks like my runt chicken. She is about 11 weeks old now, but only the size of a biddy that was hatched about 3 weeks ago. She has all the spirit of her sisters, she can even fly as well as her sisters, she's just a runt. After asking, I figure she may not make it past a year, but for now, she's the only one who allows me to pick her up, I give her what she needs and with any luck if/when she passes it will be in her sleep.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought all 4 brahmas and my two silkies the sane day at tractor supply. He still looks like this! All unfeathered and ugly! I love him though. He stands on my feet when I go out to the coop and ribs up against my legs. We weren't going to keep any roosters at all, and it figures 3 of the 4 brahmas are. But I might just keep him anyhow! Maybe he won't have a big crow seeing as he's such a mess.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a youngster like this right now and is worse off than yours but is also very tiny. He seems to be happy and healthy otherwise. I call him my little dwarf baby. Here are some pics of him through his development.

This is him at 4 weeks old with his hatchmate. There is such a big size difference. Then the 3rd picture is him at about 6 weeks and the last one is 9 weeks. He is still very tiny but very sweet. His hatchmate takes care of him and really watches over him.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
adorson said:
I have a youngster like this right now and is worse off than yours but is also very tiny. He seems to be happy and healthy otherwise. I call him my little dwarf baby. Here are some pics of him through his development. This is him at 4 weeks old with his hatchmate. There is such a big size difference. Then the 3rd picture is him at about 6 weeks and the last one is 9 weeks. He is still very tiny but very sweet. His hatchmate takes care of him and really watches over him.
Did you see the video I posted? My guy is all grown up!! He's my last rooster now :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today is a sad sad day. After talking my husband into keeping my guy and saving him from the dinner table.. Something got him. His leg is broken. He is just laying outside. We have to cull him. Poor gentle guy.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Aww so sorry....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Aww... Hugs :( Hope maybe there is still a chance for him.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know what we could do for him. He can't put any weight on that leg at all. When I pick him up he makes noises like it hurts...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts