Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For christmas I got a little giant, with egg turner:p, I have been dying to get started. Saved up about 40 eggs picked out the best and started yesterday. Got my boys to help put them in and get it started. Now the real wait begins.:rolleyes: My kids even marked the calender hope it goes well.
Wish us luck.:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Nice, can't wait to see what you get. I have a polish and a silkie in the bator right now. Oh and some button quails too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well darn.....today is day 21 and nothing happened.:mad: Everything was looking good till this point. I will let it go a few more days before I call it quits.

The good news is while at TSC I was picking up some chicken supplys. I scored a deal on 12 chicks for 1 dollar each, white egg layers pullets. They are about a week old, salesman said he needed them gone, to make room for day olds.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Opened up the eggs today.... only 2 were not fertile, the rest were all in different stages of development. All the way from early to late. Any one have any ideas on what I need to do different. 5% hatch rate doesn't seem to good.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
ThreeJ said:
Opened up the eggs today.... only 2 were not fertile, the rest were all in different stages of development. All the way from early to late. Any one have any ideas on what I need to do different. 5% hatch rate doesn't seem to good.
Sorry to hear. Hopefully you can figure it out for the next round. Awesome score on the chicks!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
ThreeJ said:
I found the problem.... themometer that came with the incubator was 5 deg. off. The temp was 5 deg. cooler then it should have been. I am hoping for a higher success rate with the next 22 eggs.
Always good to find out.

·
Banned
825 Posts
This NEXT TIME....TRY the "Dry-Incubation Method".
AND...for sure... CALIBRATE the thermometers and hygrometers.
Instructions for calibrating are readily available. Just do a "Google Search" for "Calibrating Thermometer" and/or "Calibrating Hygrometer"

I think you'll have MUCH BETTER "luck" with DRY-INCUBATION.

just my opinion.....
Bruce ( ReTIRED )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try this out

You should try keeping all the eggs in the incubator at once, so that all of them will hatch on the same day. I heard you can keep eggs in the cellar for a while with 12 degrees celcius until you have a full load to push into the incubator.

Good luck with your 22 new eggs.:cool:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
tigernielscremer said:
You should try keeping all the eggs in the incubator at once, so that all of them will hatch on the same day. I heard you can keep eggs in the cellar for a while with 12 degrees celcius until you have a full load to push into the incubator.

Good luck with your 22 new eggs.:cool:
I keep mine in a closet in cartons, and turn the cartons two to three times a day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts