Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures:

The black hen's (before she molted, she looked blue) name was Snake. I'm thinking about naming her Dawn.
The white hen's name is Cleopatra. I think I'm gonna keep that one.
The splash (he is splash, right?) rooster's name is Strut. Not sure about him.
The silkies are ex-show birds.
In the corner of the picture are my dad's new chicks.

Here's ButterScotch:

She's my dad's new chick. I'm working on taming her. She is making good progress.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I first saw him I thought lavender. Or self blue. That's a great color combination to be looking at.

I see Butterscotch, I hope she decided you're a very special human.

Congrats on the birds. I'd keep Strut's name. It seems appropriate for a rooster.
Okay. The lady said that he has had little lavender chick's so that'd make sense. Thank you! I think so, too.

Aw, thank you! I hope she does, too. She is a very special chick. She likes the Silkies.

Thank you! I really have no other ideas so I'm gonna keep his name.
Congrats, they're all so cute! Strut is an adorable little roo ^^ Dawn and Cleopatra are such pretty little balls of fluff :) Great names! ^^
Thank you! I think so, too! They are very fluffy. Thank you!

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, okay. I see. After looking (for the second time) at some pictures of splash and lavender Silkies, I see that he is lavender.

Ooh! You're getting me excited! Do you know what color chicks the black hen could have? Speaking for the black hen, I have discovered that she's the dominant hen. She'll peck Cleo when she eats or if she gets in her way. The name Snake does seem to fit her... The only thing about the name Dawn is when I say Dawn, it sounds more like Don. My mom thought I was talking about the rooster. LOL. I was just out there a few minutes ago and she was just sitting there watching the chicks play. They all like to watch them.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awww, cute!
Thank you!
True blacks were used with lavenders. Problem is, I don't remember why. It's been a while since I was raising Silkies. I can probably did up the information.
Okay. You don't have to unless you want to. I love feline genetics and believe it or not, I'm not too bad that those. Thanks!

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, okay. I see where you like the paints now. I believe that my favorites are blue, white, and buff. I do like splash, too. Is it possible one of the hens could have a blue chick with the rooster? If chicken genetics are anything like cat genetics, I won't be getting any buffs or reds.

· Administrator
25,363 Posts
This is from Silkie.org: You can breed them to blacks since they are a dilute of black, but the first generation will all be blacks split to lavender. Then when bred back to a lavender they produce 50% more lavenders. Below: A young Lavender Silkie grower. When breeding Self blue birds it is important to keep records of mating and offspring.

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I need to know what you mean by blue. The lavender is a self blue gene so is there a chance? I'd have to dig to see what happens with that pairing.
Just solid blue like this one:

This is from Silkie.org: You can breed them to blacks since they are a dilute of black, but the first generation will all be blacks split to lavender. Then when bred back to a lavender they produce 50% more lavenders. Below: A young Lavender Silkie grower. When breeding Self blue birds it is important to keep records of mating and offspring.
Thank you so much! What does black split to lavender mean?

· Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really? Do you have a picture? I'd love to see him. I have two black cats. One has a white spot on her neck and the other has a few white hairs on his neck. They both have white hairs strategically placed on their body.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.