Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ended up not getting Peaches the Harlinger because she had asthma. My parents surprised me with a horse that I'd seen a few weeks earlier and fell in love with. His name is Oswald and he is a 16 hh blue roan thoroughbred...such a smart and beautiful horse. He is 11 years old as well. I got him on Wednesday. Today we visited the stable and I got to groom him. It was freezing cold because surprise surprise, it snowed in South Carolina in December! He had a fun time playing around in the snow with his friends.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice! Are you going to be riding Oswald?
Yes, I am, but he is a little underweight right now, so we are going to wait until he becomes fitter before I ride. He will gain his weight back in 3-4 weeks. Horses gain weight fast!

·
Registered
314 Posts
So pretty! I know nothing about them other than they are majestic when they run! I rode one once when I was a kid, fell off and never got on again. Lots of luck on him gaining the weight he needs!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Awesome!!!He's a beauty!!!I heard thoroughbreds need to eat a lot more than other horse breeds.So good luck fattening him up.What about the chickens?Are you putting them on the back burner?Or are you pawning them off on your brother?(That's probably what I'd do if I acquired a horse....:D)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome!!!He's a beauty!!!I heard thoroughbreds need to eat a lot more than other horse breeds.So good luck fattening him up.What about the chickens?Are you putting them on the back burner?Or are you pawning them off on your brother?(That's probably what I'd do if I acquired a horse....:D)
No, I still go out to the chickens daily. Biscuit is adjusting well with the new flock, though I doubt she'll ever fit in completely. She meanders off by herself during free range time and sleeps on the floor or in a nest box at night time. She was pecking at the wall of the coop, made of hardware cloth, and broke the tip of her beak and cracked it. Thankfully, it was only one side of the tip and it had no blood supply to it; so it didn't cause her any pain or bleeding. It'll heal with time. Raisin is laying now, along with Atari, and we get 1 or 2 eggs a day.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Her beak will grow back.I take nail clippers to my exotic birds' beaks to trim them.I'm glad to hear Biscuit is doing good.How are you planning on fattening up Oswald(btw-I love his name!!!)?Got a plan in mind?I have no advice on that one except extra grain and quality hay,like alfalfa hay.My neighbor had a thorough bred and always complained about the cost of food(but she complained about everything).I do believe it was her first and only horse and it didn't have much pasture to graze on.Good quality food and avoid the corn.Good luck and keep us posted!!!

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
I think any person getting a horse should board the first year to be around other horse people and learn (if possible). How did you find Oswald?

If he's thin he probably needs a good worming. Be careful not to overfeed a skinny horse, go slow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think any person getting a horse should board the first year to be around other horse people and learn (if possible). How did you find Oswald?

If he's thin he probably needs a good worming. Be careful not to overfeed a skinny horse, go slow.
We found him in Blairsville, Georgia, from a reputable horse seller. He's not that underweight, he he's only a little skinny. We are just giving him a different mixture of feed. It's what my horse instructor recommended.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Her beak will grow back.I take nail clippers to my exotic birds' beaks to trim them.I'm glad to hear Biscuit is doing good.How are you planning on fattening up Oswald(btw-I love his name!!!)?Got a plan in mind?I have no advice on that one except extra grain and quality hay,like alfalfa hay.My neighbor had a thorough bred and always complained about the cost of food(but she complained about everything).I do believe it was her first and only horse and it didn't have much pasture to graze on.Good quality food and avoid the corn.Good luck and keep us posted!!!
We are feeding him a mixture of Alfalfa pellets and Timothy grass pellets. He always has access to fresh hay.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh, congratulations!!! We have a pair of red roans. I find roans to be a lot of fun because typically, one of the hair colors grows out so much more than the other when their winter coats come in. My gelding looks almost sorrel in winter and nearly white all summer!

Oswald is such a cool name, will you keep it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aw! There's an old western song called 'Strawberry Roan' by Marty Robbins... And in it, the roan is a wild horse that nobody can break but the singer, employed as a "bronc rider", decides to try, only to get tossed, hard! But I love the refrain which is: "there ain't a man alive who can stay with ol' strawberry when he makes his high dive....

Casue when I got my horse, I gotten taken for a heck of a ride ride by someone I thought was a friend running a kill-pen rescue...but she was actually an unscrupulous dealer. I'd told her I'd help her out by taking on a well-trained, healthy(ish) gelding who was a 1-3 temperament wise and at 1st, he seemed to be that horse. But once I put a couple hundred pounds on him and cured his thrush? The real him came out and we saw how green he actually was...

But for whatever reason, this roan Appaloosa was real gentle around me and where as he would fight the guys around the stable on everything (even the trainers) he'd settle and ususally do what I asked if I were patient. The first time I ever heard that song, my husband expected me not to like it. But I just told him there wasn't a man that could stick with ol' Strawberry...but the song never said there wasn't a WOMAN who couldn't!:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
We ended up not getting Peaches the Harlinger because she had asthma. My parents surprised me with a horse that I'd seen a few weeks earlier and fell in love with. His name is Oswald and he is a 16 hh blue roan thoroughbred...such a smart and beautiful horse. He is 11 years old as well. I got him on Wednesday. Today we visited the stable and I got to groom him. It was freezing cold because surprise surprise, it snowed in South Carolina in December! He had a fun time playing around in the snow with his friends.

He looks sassy! :)

·
Banned
9,209 Posts
Aw! There's an old western song called 'Strawberry Roan' by Marty Robbins... And in it, the roan is a wild horse that nobody can break but the singer, employed as a "bronc rider", decides to try, only to get tossed, hard! But I love the refrain which is: "there ain't a man alive who can stay with ol' strawberry when he makes his high dive....

Casue when I got my horse, I gotten taken for a heck of a ride ride by someone I thought was a friend running a kill-pen rescue...but she was actually an unscrupulous dealer. I'd told her I'd help her out by taking on a well-trained, healthy(ish) gelding who was a 1-3 temperament wise and at 1st, he seemed to be that horse. But once I put a couple hundred pounds on him and cured his thrush? The real him came out and we saw how green he actually was...

But for whatever reason, this roan Appaloosa was real gentle around me and where as he would fight the guys around the stable on everything (even the trainers) he'd settle and ususally do what I asked if I were patient. The first time I ever heard that song, my husband expected me not to like it. But I just told him there wasn't a man that could stick with ol' Strawberry...but the song never said there wasn't a WOMAN who couldn't!:)
LOL. I just wanted a color different than the last 2 bays I had, and a mare. She's a very good mare. Except she spooked last week and I got dumped 3/4 mile from the barn, and she ran back to the barn. I lost my stirrups and walked 1.5 more mile back to find it and didn't. I ordered a new set from Stateline tack and it's been 11 days now because ups lost them. So I'm waiting from another set. Tomorrow I might have to get my western saddle out. I'm thinking of using a long rope to hold coiled up so she can't run off without me!. I never ride without a helmet and a cell phone out on the canal (wide grass side of miles of a grass water run off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts