My new business

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Maryellen, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

My business is officially registered with the State of NJ

Old Red Sheds Chickens and Gardens LLC...

I made this for my chicken business.
    Next up is getting my NPIP again

chickenqueen likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

I hated having to spend the day getting my birds tested but in the end it was worth it.

Once they had tested all the first time they did like 25% pf the flock after that. I usually chose birds that were not there from the year before.

BTW, congrats on the new business. Hope it takes off like a rocket. Then you can retire from your day job.

3. Maryellen

I can't retire lol. The chicken business is a side job for cash to feed the critters

chickenqueen likes this.
  4. Maryellen

I was npip last year, so it wasn't so bad. Now that I have less birds it will be much easier

5. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

I had about 100 at that time. Maybe 75 old enough to be tested. Even with the good organization of the tester it was time consuming.

6. Maryellen

When I was npip with 45 birds it took her a bit over an hour, which wasn't bad. It will hopefully take less then an hour this time around, I just gotta schedule a vac day to do it

7. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

Congrats! Are you just selling chicks?

8. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

You go girl!!!I laughed when I read you were starting it to feed the critters(does that include the goats?).I can emphasize with you there.I've thought about that.I hope you are successful.Good luck!!!

9. Maryellen

I'm going to sell hatching eggs , chicks, pullets , and cockerals from my bredas. Plus some Indian corn and pumpkins. I won't make much I don't think. I'm going to give it a shot.

10. chickenqueen

Sounds interesting.Now I understand your incubating frenzy earlier this year.I wish you all the success in the world and then some.

11. seminolewind

They have a rare bird auction online. I think Bredas would fit right in. They are very rare.

12. Wilbur's Mom

Wilbur's Mom Active Member

That is awesome! good luck, sounds like you'll be staying busy!

13. Maryellen

I can't ship until I'm npip, and once I am I'm not so keen on shipping.

I belong to the rare bird auction on fb too.

14. Maryellen

Yeah the incubation frenzy was to get more hens lol.. I got more roosters hahaha..

Spring I'm going to hatch some to see the fertility rate ,as I'm keeping 2 roosters, one black one and one mottled. Each one is from the 2 breeders I used. So I'll have east coast and west coast blood and go from there. I prefer my east coast birds, they are larger and more to the standard. The west coast birds are a bit more leggy and less leg feathering, but some have nicer nostrils.
    I'm going to see what I get and work to the standard I got.

seminolewind likes this.
  15. chickenqueen

Are you going to mix west with east?Are you going to keep the specimens that meet your criteria and just breed those and keep track of everything?Just thinking about it is overwhelming.There would be alot of paperwork,among other things.More power to ya!!!

16. Maryellen

I'm going to mix west and east to improve what I have. The ones that fall below the standard will be grown out then sold . I have both groups legbanded,already so I know who is who. Got a book ready to write in too.

chickenqueen likes this.
  17. seminolewind

I think you'll want to band them in colors so you're sure of who's who.

Maryellen likes this.
  18. Maryellen

I have east coast banded red and purple and west coast yellow and green:). I've had them banded this way since I got everyone and hatched the rest out, this way I'm definite on who is who.
    I'm only going to keep one rooster . I just have to see who grows out better and closer to the standard and then hatch out in the spring. If I keep 2 I'm going to keep an East coast and west coast rooster. I'm not sure yet