Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oegb hen has 2 nests to go to, but she was recently broody on a few eggs and a raccoon got to her and roughed her up while eating all her eggs. She has been traumatized and won't go near the nests. We tried giving her a new nest but she hates it. Today I heard her making her "I just layed an egg and it really hurt my butt" call do I went out to investigate. She layed her egg right on top of a metal table in a shipping bag. The area is completely out in the open and I don't think it's a safe place for her egg laying. How should I go about moving her egg or eggs (I don't know if there are more in other locations) into a safe nesting house without upsetting her and for her to actually go sit on them? The pictures are of our normal nesting box, her (golden) in a cooler at one point (she has strange preferences) and the egg I just found

Attachments

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Did you get the raccoon? It may still come in some, and she sees it. She is trying to lay in what she thinks is a safe place, and she may never get over it. Sorry!! Maybe on down the road she will, but there's probably nothing you can do except put her in a different coop, and that may not even put her at enough ease to use a nest box.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Yes, she thinks it's not safe because of the raccoon. I had a heck of a time when I had my very first broody. It was very hot and I thought that leaving the egg collecting door open to allow air to flow was a good idea. Well, a fox snatched her off the nest. All the other hens decided that the nest wasn't safe and they all STOPPED laying in the coop and started laying everywhere else. The only solution I finally came up with was locking them in the coop/run for about 5 days to get them to realize it was safe and they needed to lay in the nest again.

She sits a pretty nest though!! She's very photogenic. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuzziebutt said:
Did you get the raccoon? It may still come in some, and she sees it. She is trying to lay in what she thinks is a safe place, and she may never get over it. Sorry!! Maybe on down the road she will, but there's probably nothing you can do except put her in a different coop, and that may not even put her at enough ease to use a nest box.
Nope, the raccoon is out there but we changed some coop locks and keep them in there the whole night until at least complete sunrise. We haven't seen, heard or found foot prints of him since.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roslyn said:
Yes, she thinks it's not safe because of the raccoon. I had a heck of a time when I had my very first broody. It was very hot and I thought that leaving the egg collecting door open to allow air to flow was a good idea. Well, a fox snatched her off the nest. All the other hens decided that the nest wasn't safe and they all STOPPED laying in the coop and started laying everywhere else. The only solution I finally came up with was locking them in the coop/run for about 5 days to get them to realize it was safe and they needed to lay in the nest again.

She sits a pretty nest though!! She's very photogenic. :D
Thank you :) she's my prized possession among the flock. She's also potty trained xD I put her cooler, which was the first place she ever went broody until she switched and was attacked, in front of where her egg was and I put nesting material along with her egg in there. I Came by today to see that yes! There are 2 eggs in the cooler! We took off the door to the cooler in case she gets herself trapped in there and she is happily laying! To prevent any future attacks, when she goes broody, I'll take her "nest box" into a separate coop I have for babies growing up and for moms raising their babies. It's the safest coop so I keep them in there. For now, she's only laying there when she free ranges (every time other than night and when we need to lock them up for what ever reason) so I'll be sure to keep the nest safe since it's out in the open. I don't need any foxes or ***** eating our future babies!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts