Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Showed up five days later (I thought the worse had happened) well she disappeared in less than an hour well I finally found her in one if our hay barns sitting on 20 eggs! I am new to this do I just leave her and the eggs be? She had been sitting since May 28th (that's the first day she disappeared!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow! I would let her set and see if she hatches her babies:) as long as she is safe there and has food and water near! Keep me posted!!

·
977 Posts
What kind of chicken is she? Love when they flatten themselves out like a pancake to cover the eggs!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is Rhode Island red! Making me crazy with worry she wondered to far off to lay and sit on her eggs. I just don't if its okay to move her and her eggs.

·
Banned
825 Posts
YOUR choice.
Personally....I'd "leave-it-be" and let her do as she pleases for about 3 weeks.
Perhaps a Varmint will get her? Maybe.
But...IF you move the eggs and her....move whatever she is using as a nest also.
-ReTIRED-:)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I would leave her be also. Should be interesting! And a RIR hen that went broody? Congrats on that! Would love to have a couple of her in my flock.

I have a broody right now too but I limited her clutch...I don't need anymore chickens. :p But...she's my old broody hen of 6 yrs and she is due for processing, so I am letting her sit one last time and raise some chicks if she manages to hatch any. She was sitting on 6 but is now down to 4.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts