Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
As much as I love fuzzie little peeps, I love, love, love this stage in raising chickens!

They look like miniature chickens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree!! I love baby chicks too, but this is the stage when I really get to know their personalities, and usually find my favorite. :D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
As much as I love fuzzie little peeps, I love, love, love this stage in raising chickens!

They look like miniature chickens.
Me too! I always hear this stage referred to as the akward adolescent stage but I thought mine were just as adorable as ever! They were easier to hold then too and more friendly than when they were tiny chicks. Now that they're all grown up, I have even more fun with them and they keep me so much company! Sometimes Tillie has a lot she needs to tell me about her day. She's a busy girl. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank y'all and il get some more pics tomorrow. To rainy down south lol!

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Nate said:
And also them roosting early this morning!
I'm about to build a bigger coop and looking at yours is giving me pause. Would you, or someone, please explain some of the requirements? ex. Why iare nesting boxes built with slanting tops? what is the ideal height for a roasting bar? and does bar need anything around it in a rather open space? Two of my princesses flew up and slept in then garage rafters last night. They often huddle back in the dark corners of the garage in the day. what's that about?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I built the eve above the boxes because the chickens would roost above them an ofcourse poop!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And my chickens love alfalfa hay and greens are good for them! But I don't put straw hay near them because its hard to digest!

·
Yaya
284 Posts
Nate said:
And my chickens love alfalfa hay and greens are good for them! But I don't put straw hay near them because its hard to digest!
yeow! so much to learn! thank you. I had panned on an earth " floor". with deep straw, with the idea that I could just add straw until spring, then rake it all out and start again, once or twice a year. bad idea then?

·
Registered
839 Posts
A lot of straw users up here, i just use it and mix in some pine shavings. Never had a problem. I have heard straw is bad for harbor ing mites as well, but I have never had in issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts