Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My flock consists of 1 roo and 2 hens. They constantly go out of our yard. We have a Sixty by sixty yd. yard and a 7 foot fence that they always fly over.

Yesterday my neighbor said he's getting mad because my chickens (all oegb) keep flying to their yard and pooping on their patio.

How can I keep them from flying over without clipping their wings? We have a fox, raccoon and hawk issue so clipping their wings would prevent them from flying to my roof (for safety).

My food is 9-10 feet high so you can imagine how easily they can jump over the fence.

They used to not have a problem because they had a thick layer of trees that lined the fence that wouldn't let them go through but they cut those down

·
Registered
250 Posts
The only way I can think of without clipping their wings is to use some sort of netting/wire fencing over the top of the fence or making you fence higher. The netting/wire fencing might help with the predator problem also :) good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reinerchick said:
The only way I can think of without clipping their wings is to use some sort of netting/wire fencing over the top of the fence or making you fence higher. The netting/wire fencing might help with the predator problem also :) good luck!
Thank you, we can't put up more fencing because it's a rented property and they don't allow that (landlord's mom happens to live next door.)

I considered putting up a fake owl or hawk on top of the fence. Thoughts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Keep them in a fenced in run that has a screened in roof. Only thing you can do and let them free range when you are there to keep an eye on them.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
You need to be a responsible owner and pen them with a roof. You have a small lot and you already know they go over the fence. Now with your neighbors complaining you need to fix it fast. Clip the wings or put a top on a pen. Even if you don't want to clip them you need to keep your chickens in your own yard. The neighbors should not have to clean up poop when they dont own the birds. If you let this go you could ruin owning chickens for others in the city if the neighbors goes to the city to complain.

If you cant make a covered pen and refuse to clip wings they may need to be re-homed.

·
Banned
825 Posts
SOLUTIONS:
1. MOVE
2. Move to your OWN property.
3. Buy MORE Chickens...and don't worry about it.
4. Tell your neighbors..."They're NOT my chickens !"
5. MOVE
6. MOVE and tell your neighbors that they are "invited" to: The Realm of Eternal Punishment
7. Leave the Chickens...and MOVE anyway ... (buy more chicks LATER )

just some ideas for your consideration.
:)
-ReTIRED-

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Dang, easy solution. Put a leash on a foot of each one of them. Then they just flock around in the yard, and predators can't fly off with them.

I'm not just a pretty face. :p

·
Banned
825 Posts
Dang, easy solution. Put a leash on a foot of each one of them. Then they just flock around in the yard, and predators can't fly off with them.

I'm not just a pretty face. :p
THAT "solution" IS FOR "Fighting Cocks".
(but, I reckon it will work for the whole flock.....but...' spensive....if'n ya got a LOT of birds...)

Lettuce SEE that "Pretty Face". Ha-Ha !!!

...just havin' fun........:D
UGLY, OLD, and
ReTIRED.:)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Apyl said:
You need to be a responsible owner and pen them with a roof. You have a small lot and you already know they go over the fence. Now with your neighbors complaining you need to fix it fast. Clip the wings or put a top on a pen. Even if you don't want to clip them you need to keep your chickens in your own yard. The neighbors should not have to clean up poop when they dont own the birds. If you let this go you could ruin owning chickens for others in the city if the neighbors goes to the city to complain.

If you cant make a covered pen and refuse to clip wings they may need to be re-homed.
I totally agree

·
Registered
250 Posts
I believe that part of having chickens is having a safe enclosed area for them. And if you cannot provide that, especially in a residential area then you should rethink having chickens. They need a safe enclosed area. And you need to keep them from getting out and into your neighbors yard. They can call the city and then, like others said, it will ruin it for other people. So your options are, build them a safe enclosure, clip there wings, or find new homes for them. I'm not trying to be rude at all, just trying to make it fair for everyone ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apyl said:

My chickens already have a pen with a roof and multiple coops, the issue is when they free range. I'm not an irresponsible owner just because I let my flock free range. I also found out by my neighbors that they had been feeding them and they originally went there because their son imitated the call I taught them to come to me so he could feed them and play with them, which is obviously why they kept going over there. They originally wanted them to be there and got sick if it when they noticed that yeah, chickens poop. It's not even like they go all over the neighbor hood, they only went to THEIR yard. Also, My town is a town with MULTIPLE farms dedicated to only raising chickens and other poultry, there are 3 farms in my neighborhood and one of them is on my very block so the city can't just ban people owning chickens.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Just loop a string around their leg like a leash so they can't fly over the fence, and keep an eye on them. Make sure they don't get wrapped around something. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
My chickens already have a pen with a roof and multiple coops, the issue is when they free range. I'm not an irresponsible owner just because I let my flock free range. I also found out by my neighbors that they had been feeding them and they originally went there because their son imitated the call I taught them to come to me so he could feed them and play with them, which is obviously why they kept going over there. They originally wanted them to be there and got sick if it when they noticed that yeah, chickens poop. It's not even like they go all over the neighbor hood, they only went to THEIR yard. Also, My town is a town with MULTIPLE farms dedicated to only raising chickens and other poultry, there are 3 farms in my neighborhood and one of them is on my very block so the city can't just ban people owning chickens.
If the neighbors are complaining and you do nothing ... it is irresponsible. (Sorry, not the answer you are looking for... I know.)

And it comes down to keeping the peace with the neighbors (or not). They thought the chickens were cute, now they don't. It don't matter that you have multiple farms in the area. (Do they free range in your yard?)

If the folks next door start calling the police/city etc. then yea ... things can change. All you have to do is look at the number of cities that will not let people have chickens in the city limit.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Clipping the wings is easy :) you aren't irresponsible, they are birds and doing what birds do. If your neighbors fed them and they went there for the food you just need to break them of the habit. Mine use to fly over our fence until we clipped their wings. We only had to do it once because they learned to stay in the yard.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I too opt for the wing clipping. It sounds like your neighbors are getting exactly what they asked for, they called the chickens to their yard and then weren't happy at the consequences.

Just like a parent who has to live with the child they raised, you now have to deal with the aftermath of their poor decisions. Since you are the bird owner, all authorities will look to you to deal with the situation.

Watch them fly over the fence. Do they fly to the top, then sit on the top and then jump down? Or can they fly up and over.

If they jump to the top and then hop down, you can modify the fence with a "coyote rail" fence. You simply thread heavy wire (the kind they use for electric fences) and then feed a free rolling tube (pvc) on the wire. This puts a rolling tube on the top of the fence and so when they fly up to the top of the fence, they can't grab anything, and the rolling tube rolls them back down. After they figure they can't fly over, they stop. I saw this idea a LONG time ago on TV when someone was trying to keep coyote's out of his chicken fence. The coyote's were climbing the fence and popping over the top, foxes will do this too, but the roll on the top means they can't get a grip to go over and so they fall back. I am going to modify some of my fencing with this idea this year.

Dealing with neighbors can really suck, especially since it sounds like they helped create the issue in the first place.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts