My first mail order chicks.

Discussion in 'Chick Raising Forum' started by ChubbyChicken, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

I ordered them yesterday. 20 Easter Eggers and 5 Salmon Faverolles, all pullets. I am going to sell some as pullets ready for spring.

We give our eggs away, and I decided that I am going to start charging for them, so I can get my dream chickens, without having a real job!

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Sounds great, good luck.

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Congrats and post pics when the time comes.

4. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

Blue Isbars, YOU WILL BE MINE!
    Pinky, tonight is the night we take over the world!

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Ok ? What's that?

6. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

7. Rachael

Rachael New Member

I've got a Salmon Faverolle, they are a lovely breed. My girl Gigi looks like she is wearing a pair of pink pantaloons when she runs! They are such pretty birds

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Very nice !! Beautiful birds... Thanks for the info !!

9. Keith

Keith New Member

Congrats! When I posted the Carter's contest on Facebook I got several zealots with comments like "you wouldn't ship a human baby, why would you ship a chicken." ... I didn't respond. I have pretty much exclusively used mail order to get the breeds I want without ever losing a chick, knock on wood.

10. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

I chewed out on BYC over hatchery birds. ALL my current birds I got locally. I would be more than happy to buy locally if someone was able to sell me 20 sexed EE chicks for $3 each. Honestly, I looked, and couldn't find more than 5, straight run, at one place.

I wouldn't eat a human baby, but I would eat a chicken baby. I hate the ones that make the rest of us hippies look dumb.

11. MeHimand5ofThem

MeHimand5ofThem New Member

The blue Isbars are fabulous!!!! The eggs are so pretty, I don't blame you a bit, I think I will put them on my wish list too!

12. Rachael

Rachael New Member

The Salmon Faverolles lay pretty blue eggs too

13. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

I just called a craigslist ad for Isbar chicks. She had one left and was asking $100.

14. cogburn

cogburn New Member

They lay the golden eggs?

15. castillofa

castillofa New Member

Don't let those naysayers get to you. The fact is, these hatcheries would not be in business without the backyard poultry owner. While it would be nice to have a local hatchery, most are operations that may not have the birds you are looking for or want. Funny thing is, IMHO, most of those who gripe about mail order, probably get their birds from TSC, Atwoods, or the like, and the last time I did, the chicks came from Privett in New Mexico and Ideal here in Texas.

Keep doing your best and enjoy your chix

16. ChubbyChicken

ChubbyChicken New Member

[​IMG]

here they are. i think the Meyer Meal Maker chick is a golden comet.

17. amber

amber New Member

Hi ChubbyChicken. I also want blue isobars. Jordan Farms also sells them and at a much lower price. We bought our chocolate orpingtons from there and they are beautiful and Jordan Farms was wonderful! I highly recommend them. http://jordan-farm.com

18. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Meyers is a little pricey. $76 for 4 buff orpingtons chicks for me. Yowza.

19. Riverdale

Riverdale New Member

Had a person at the local Farm and Home (like TSC) say they would never mail-order chicks, because it was mean. As they were buying chicks. :rolleyes:

20. CartersLegacy

CartersLegacy New Member

haha, that's like the old pot calling the kettle black isn't it. I assure you shipping chicks is not mean. Most of these yahoo's that are running their chops about it have no clue, that freshly hatched chicks do not need food or water for the first 3 days of their lives, and they also don't mind the shipping box, as they need and like warmth! Sometimes you just have to giggle and shake your head!