Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to raising chickens so please don't knock me if I sound crazy :) I have 6 chickens(barred rock, silkies, Cochin, buff Orpington and Japanese Phoenix), I was so excited to find eggs under my Cochin 2 weeks ago but now I think she has stopped. She constantly sits in the nesting box and makes a purring sound when I touch her but there are no eggs. Today I brought her down from the house but she was NOT happy about it, she is normally the most friendly hen I have and now she is pecking the others and acting aggressive....what is happening?!

·
Registered
54 Posts
You have a broody hen! This means that she wants to sit on an egg(s) and hatch them. If you don't have a rooster then you obviously can't have her hatch them but if you do she is in luck next time she or another hen lays an egg put it under her and she will sit on that egg until the chick hatches. If she lays the egg leave it in the nest so she can sit on it.

P.S I also have a Japanese Phoenix rooster! He is awesome, he has a long tail! His name is Henry . :)
Is your Phoenix a hen or a rooster?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Phoenix is a hen and she is super sweet!! She is super tiny though!! And thank you for the advice! I have a rooster but I don't want to hatch any eggs quite yet, is there a way to trick her? Will she ever lay eggs again?

·
Registered
54 Posts
What I have done with hens that I don't want to brood (I usually let any of my hens that want to brood well I let em' brood) but what I have done is I isolate them for about a day or two with only food and water in a pen that has only a roost bar in it with no nest box or no bedding on the floor and then they stop brooding and within a week she should be laying eggs again when you move her with the rest of the flock.

·
977 Posts
We put ours in like a dog crate with no bedding. Just food and water. Eventually they get out of the Broody stage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts