Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So excited and scared at the same time. First time for me. Have 25 EE's, 20 PR, and 20 Red Stars coming. Been reading and trying to get ready....wish me luck!:p

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update

Only had one that didn't make it through from shipping. They had arrived yesterday morning. Today was butt check and wash day! They are doing great! They are pooping machines...lol

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
That is a lot, our experiment began with 6, then we learned of more we wanted. Good luck!
Us too - nice and easy to start with breeds. Up to 9 now and that's enough although the temptations of some of the other breeds thanks to other members on here ... ;) I just go out and hug a few of my girls and tell myself no more! :D

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Wish I didn't have to. I just got the flood settlement from Hurricane Sandy and the discharged/fired lawyer is trying to attach herself to that money over her disputed fees.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The little ones are doing grrrrreat! My wife is really getting into taken care of and checking in on the little ones. Rolling out paper towels, and changing the water bottles. Don't know how long we will be able to keep them in the "brooder" with one foot high cardboard wall. At some point I will have to take them out to my rubber garage where I have made a holding pen for them.
Tomorrow I will be picking up a trampoline frame and the side netting to make an outdoor chicken yard.
Not only do I love raising these birds, but also making the coops, and chicken yards for them.
Spring is coming!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Wife has been taking good care of the chicks since their arrival. She also has been spreading the word to our Poultry/homesteading friends. We already have quite a few people interested in the chicks when they are ready. My wife already picked one out to be a keeper.
After watching them run around and getting a little air flight I am beginning to question how long this one foot high cardboard wall will last before they breach the brooder! Think maybe this weekend I will be building something a little higher!

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Good for you! We need pics to live vicariously through your chick experience. Mine won't arrive until end of April so I need a chick fix man.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK....so I created my "No Fly Zone" over the chick brooder. If I would have known that a one foot high cardboard brooder wall would only last a week, I would have made my own with higher walls. I would not recommend anyone buying the rolled up cardboard as a brooder wall.
So here is my pic of the wire roofing I made real quick.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts