Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days my free range chickens started to go to my front door and wait for me when they know its time for bed. Lol anyone else experience this ?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
LOL how cute!!! My chicks are only a little more than a week old and in a brooder but to me that just shows how smart they are!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Lilah used to yell at me this most awful sounding scream when it was getting to be sunset time. She was ready for bed! Our girls will gather at the garage when its time for the hubby to get home. They know they can con him into giving them extra treats! Spoiled brats! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
keramoon said:
The past few days my free range chickens started to go to my front door and wait for me when they know its time for bed. Lol anyone else experience this ?
Absolutely! My boss has one pet out of 12 (offspring from my flock) named Oprah. She waits in the barn for her, and when it's time for bed she stalks my boss. Literally. Follows her everywhere and coos at her until she carries her to her house. Lol

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Mine just all do there own thing. Some head to the tree some the coop. But I don't close up until well after dark.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My biggest hen has claimed the swinging porch chair she loves to be rocked on it , it was bed time and she fell asleep there had to carry her to bed I put her on the ground expecting her to run to bed but all she did was sat down and fell asleep again XD chickens are so cute!

·
Registered
41 Posts
So our 7 girls have decided to start bedding down for the night in the same nest. Will this be a problem when they are old enough to lay? They are about 10 weeks old now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say you need to block the nesting boxes off, because you don't want them to get in the habit of sleeping in there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fowlmouthgirls said:
I've heard a lot of people say you need to block the nesting boxes off, because you don't want them to get in the habit of sleeping in there.
Guess I'm in trouble my girls have been sleeping in the nesting boxes for a while even they have room to roost . They will be laying soon . What can I do?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I blocked off the nesting boxes wen I first placed them into the coop. About two weeks ago (they are now around 16 weeks I guess...lost count...lol) I uncovered the nests. I haven't had any problems with them sleeping in them

·
Registered
20 Posts
camel934 said:
I blocked off the nesting boxes wen I first placed them into the coop. About two weeks ago (they are now around 16 weeks I guess...lost count...lol) I uncovered the nests. I haven't had any problems with them sleeping in them
I will try that but mine are 16 weeks now and beginning to squat when I pet them also making a lot of noise . Hope they don't lay while the net are cover. Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's probably too late to cover them now. Your chicks could start laying anytime. Just try to remove them when they sleep in there. They may get the hint

·
Registered
20 Posts
camel934 said:
It's probably too late to cover them now. Your chicks could start laying anytime. Just try to remove them when they sleep in there. They may get the hint
Ok will do . Thanks . This chicken business is not that easy . Lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our chickens know at dusk if my wife or I come over it's time to go inside. All we do is walk into the yard point and say up. Single file they go up the ramps and get locked up for the night. Every now and then 2 renegades named kamikaze and rooster(a hen) will run around the ramp making a ruckus for 5 min or so before they end up jumping up and going in. I swear they do it on purpose cause when they end up going on the stop and look at you like ha ha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi my 4 chickens were sleeping in the nesting box. For the last 2 nights I have blocked off the boxes and put them on the perch, not easy but kept on till they were all on. They stayed there all night. I unblocked the boxes first thing. I will continue for a few more nights then see what happens. Oh and I got my first egg this morning woohoo!

·
Registered
20 Posts
camel934 said:
They laid the first egg today in the nesting box so guess that's good but there was a bit of poop,in it. They still sleeping in it .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Everybody gets poopy eggs sometimes, doesn't mean they are sleeping in there, she could have stood up to go out o the box and pooped, random pooping is what chickens do :). Congrats on the egg!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts