Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any ideas to stop my chickens from spilling the water which is in a bowl and the food is in a random feeder I made like this
IMG_1622820210.031283.jpg

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Really the best thing you can do is find one to mount on the wire off the ground, or one specifically made for watering. Bowls are great supplementally, but they do tend to be clumsy.... someone else may have a better solution. But I’ve not been able to find a better one myself.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Yeah, a waterer is best. Chickens also think bowls are grand for cooling off in so they foul, no pun intended here, the water. Where your feed is coming out looks top heavy. Is it anchored somehow?

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Then they're not knocking it over, they're scooping the food out of the tray. Typical chicken behavior.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
That’s just kinda something they do- they do like to eat off the ground, some more than others! And some enjoy ‘beaking’ the food out just to drive us nuts I think. Meaning yeah they just drag it out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well the chickens I used to have liked eating off the ground. Or if you prefer not to feed them on the ground then take a rope drill some holes somewhere on it and hang it where they can't spill it. You can buy this feeder off the "Chewy" site for $11.25. And you can take a rope and tie it to the top of the handle on it.
images (1).jpg

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
A very simple no spill waterer I use with my ducks is a plastic gallon jug with a large hole cut in the side. When it has water in it it does not tip easy and the birds can't walk in their water. If my ducks can't knock it over, I doubt chickens will.

·
Administrator
19,628 Posts
Good idea, Dan. How high should the hole be? Two or three inches and about the same size?

Cuddlyhens is a young person so might need some directions on how to go about making it.

·
Serama King
1,994 Posts
Good idea, Dan. How high should the hole be? Two or three inches and about the same size?

Cuddlyhens is a young person so might need some directions on how to go about making it.
I'd go four/five inches so it would hold more water and be heavier. The hole should be as big as possible but small enough so a bird can't fit it's body inside. A small bungie cord wrapped around the jug and hooked on the screen/bars/wall would add even more stability.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts