Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meaning that they only lay eggs on one side of the chicken coop. I have 6 nesting boxes and they only use 3 that are on the south side. Why don't they make use of the other boxes?

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,384 Posts
Sometimes when they see an already used nesting box with eggs in it or an actual nest that one of them already made, they find it better and easier to use that one. If you try putting eggs in the other nesting boxes they might start using them.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Or they may not.

Most are surprised to realize that chickens do what they want. Most of the time that means laying in the same nest box of their friends.
I currently have eight, they use three, it's what they do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most chickens do this. I believe from what I’ve read, that this is for reproductive purposes. Traditionally, chickens lay a clutch, then they sit. Though broodiness has been drastically bred out from the chickens today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t have dividers in my “egg box” but they all lay in one nest. I use shavings on the floor of the indoor portion and add hay for the winter months for warmth. They make a nest and all lay in the same nest and I mess the nest up every day as I push the hay to the outside walls. Every day they make the nest over again in basically the same spot.
I’ll grab a couple pictures today when I go collect the eggs.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Once we can adjust to chickens having their own way of doing things, even if it makes no sense to us, the more we can enjoy them for their other behaviors.

@Roffey even having the meat birds it appears you notice what your traditional flock's habits are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don’t have dividers in my “egg box” but they all lay in one nest. I use shavings on the floor of the indoor portion and add hay for the winter months for warmth. They make a nest and all lay in the same nest and I mess the nest up every day as I push the hay to the outside walls. Every day they make the nest over again in basically the same spot.
I’ll grab a couple pictures today when I go collect the eggs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts