my chickens, and a question.

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by rob, Oct 7, 2012.

1. rob

rob New Member

these are my three chickens. a silkie a light sussex and a clydach clocker.

my question is. my silkie is the same age as the other 2 but feels alot smaller and a lot lighter. is this normal for the breed ?

Attached Files:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Can't answer your question but I had to say, they're gorgeous!!!

3. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

I don't know about the clydach clocker, but the light sussex is listed as a full sized breed with an average hen weight of 7 pounds. A silkie is a bantam breed and I have a book that states a hen's average weight is 2 pounds. So yes, they are VERY different in size.

Your silkie makes me smile. They are so darn cute, like a stuffed animal. :)

4. CountryMama

CountryMama Junior Member

I've got to find a source for the Clydach Clocker here in the US! BTW, love the crushed beer can. My chickens aren't much into beer, but love the grains left over from homebrew. ;-)

5. rob

rob New Member

all are bantams, including the light sussex.

6. rob

rob New Member

lol. its a can of orange pop. (or soda) the kids from next door threw it over.

7. muranofarms

muranofarms New Member

Silkies are pretty small, but she shouldn't feel terribly light if they're all bantys. How old are they?

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes they are bantams, rob. Only small.

9. Mamachickof14

Mamachickof14 New Member

Very nice Rob. I would loved to have a silkie...When I got mine I didn't know you could mix them, now I'm afraid to add any new ones because of the pecking order and bringing sickness into my flock. I'm new to all this...lots of good advice on here. I have *14* RIR's. Jen:)