Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are my three chickens. a silkie a light sussex and a clydach clocker.

my question is. my silkie is the same age as the other 2 but feels alot smaller and a lot lighter. is this normal for the breed ?

Attachments

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I don't know about the clydach clocker, but the light sussex is listed as a full sized breed with an average hen weight of 7 pounds. A silkie is a bantam breed and I have a book that states a hen's average weight is 2 pounds. So yes, they are VERY different in size.

Your silkie makes me smile. They are so darn cute, like a stuffed animal. :)

·
46 Posts
I've got to find a source for the Clydach Clocker here in the US! BTW, love the crushed beer can. My chickens aren't much into beer, but love the grains left over from homebrew. ;-)

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about the clydach clocker, but the light sussex is listed as a full sized breed with an average hen weight of 7 pounds. A silkie is a bantam breed and I have a book that states a hen's average weight is 2 pounds. So yes, they are VERY different in size.

Your silkie makes me smile. They are so darn cute, like a stuffed animal. :)
all are bantams, including the light sussex.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got to find a source for the Clydach Clocker here in the US! BTW, love the crushed beer can. My chickens aren't much into beer, but love the grains left over from homebrew. ;-)
lol. its a can of orange pop. (or soda) the kids from next door threw it over.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Very nice Rob. I would loved to have a silkie...When I got mine I didn't know you could mix them, now I'm afraid to add any new ones because of the pecking order and bringing sickness into my flock. I'm new to all this...lots of good advice on here. I have *14* RIR's. Jen:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts