Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my silkies, Chicky Hen, is broody now! My grandpa has been wanting to get a new flock of chickens because his last hen died a few weeks ago. He only has his 8 year old dying rooster now.

I put 4 silkie eggs under Chicky Hen and she is so small she can't fit another. hopefully they are all hens or at least 2 are hens. if there is more than 1 rooster im sure my grandpa will eat him. I will hopefully update everyone once i candle the eggs in a few days.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are from my birds. silkies only though.

I'm not sure which hen you are referencing. I haven't had any birds get sick or die lately so she's probably doing great.

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
That pile would have kept climbing and your hatch could have gotten iffy. Those girls are sneaky when it comes to eggs. They'll even bring eggs in from other spots. Sometimes I couldn't figure out how they did it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I reposted about marking her eggs and taking one away.

another one of my silkies went broody. Karen this time. Looks like we’re getting quite a few chickens. I candles all the eggs today but it was bright so I only saw 4 of the 6 eggs had veins.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All 6 are developing! Hopefully we get a nice assortment of colors. We have a white hen, a buff hen, and a dark brown hen, so hopefully we get all 3 colors. Our roo is a buff silkie so I have a feeling we will get a lot of buff chicks.

·
Administrator
23,486 Posts
With Silkies you can't go on there being a bunch of buffs. Only if the buff rooster and buff hen bred. The one that like so much is a partridge. It's anyone's guess what the white hen will produce since they are recessive white.

You have to wait just like the rest of us to see what hatches.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts