Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I found out one of my hens chestnut has black stuff on both of her nose causing her hard time to breath. I searched up what to do but it just said to use a tooth pick and gently take it out.. so I tried that and like she kept moving and the nose started to bleed. So then I decided to ask what to do here. Thanks It does not let me attach a video.
IMG_8767.jpg

So basically the bottom where the waddle is Jeeps going out and in and the corner of the eye area.

Please let me know what to do thanks! :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I’m sure others will chime in, but I would think this may need a round of antibiotics, whatever is going on. The beak does seem to be affected, indicating a deeper tissue item, hence why I’m leaning that direction.
If you have any poultry vet in your area, this may be a time to give them a shout!

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Or a large animal vet. They're more willing than small animal vets to see chickens.

I truly don't know what that is. What I would try first is to get some saline, I use contact lens saline for sensitive eyes, fill a 3 cc syringe or eye dropper with the saline and squirt it into the nares (nostril). That might help flush whatever is there out.

Try not to use too much force when inserting the saline, you can blow out a sinus with too much pressure. Because force is more controllable, use the eye dropper.

That might allow for a better assessment on what is going on there if it can be cleaned up.

·
Serama King
1,374 Posts
If the area around the nostrils is crusty a fine coat of petroleum jelly will soften the area making it easier to clean. Other than the blackness around and in the nostrils, and the breathing difficulty, are there any other symptoms? I see something that LOOKS similar in my birds when the weather is dry-dust. The air here gets very dusty and when the birds breathe it coats their nostrils. This is a minor problem with all the birds, but especially for my turkeys. Periodically, I have to catch the birds and clean their nostrils to allow them to breath easier. While it does look similar in your picture the blackened flesh around the nostrils is different. Could this be your problem? If so. it would be easy to clean, but dull the tip of the toothpick before using it. A light water mist might be helpful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smell the nostril close up and let me know if there's a foul odor.
Yeah there is I tried cleaning it got some dirt off but there is this thing blocking the nostril looks connected to the red part of the face? But my other hens don’t have it

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Since there is a foul odor, it's most likely sinus canker.
Treatment for sinus canker is metronidazole 250mg twice a day for 5-7 days. Infected birds are carriers and will spread the disease via waterers.
Another treatment is acidified copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once every month. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Do not overdose.
Here's a link where you can buy acidified copper sulfate:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Treatment for sinus canker is metronidazole 250mg twice a day for 5-7 days. Infected birds are carriers and will spread the disease via waterers.
Another treatment is acidified copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once every month. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Do not overdose.
Is there anymore natural ways to treat it? Like my parents won’t buy me it and don’t want to use antibiotics

·
Registered
3,492 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ask you parents to read this link, they might learn something:
Well that didn’t rlly do anything they just quickly read it and yeah... should I separate the bird? Like any thing to do without getting any antibiotics because we don’t have places that sell it and pretty busy..

·
Super Moderator
3,160 Posts
Thank you!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, thanks for sure!

To the OP- are these family chickens or yours alone? Can you earn the $ another way to get what they need pretty quick, or is there another adult you might could talk with about their health and why you are concerned- I don’t want it to come down to losing one for them to take things seriously, for any of you, so I’m trying to brainstorm here, without stepping on parental toes. (I am a parent myself, so I’m trying to think what might get more attention from a busy and unknowing parent perspective...)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, thanks for sure!

To the OP- are these family chickens or yours alone? Can you earn the $ another way to get what they need pretty quick, or is there another adult you might could talk with about their health and why you are concerned- I don’t want it to come down to losing one for them to take things seriously, for any of you, so I’m trying to brainstorm here, without stepping on parental toes. (I am a parent myself, so I’m trying to think what might get more attention from a busy and unknowing parent perspective...)
Technically it’s mine but they don’t wanna spend any more money on them

·
Registered
733 Posts
That’s understandable. Can you raise the money yourself? My sons are 15 and 12 and they mow about 8 yards every week in the summer. I don’t know your situation but there are almost always people who will pay well for help doing odds and ends and yard work.
Perhaps this would show your parents how serious you are about them as well, which never hurts for a parent to see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I searched Amazon for those and I can’t find anything and the websites are all in the US

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It took a lot of digging but I found this: Meditrich for Bird: Buy Meditrich for Bird Supplies at lowest Price - PetCareClub.com

It appears they're in the states but mention shipping world wide.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it but we don’t rlly trust those websites because it might be a scam :/ and also we mostly use like Canadian websites so I’m not rlly sure Plus the shipping prob gonna take months :/ yeah ... I wish there was something like that in Canada but my parents don’t rlly like ordering stuff from random websites they only use Amazon lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts