My chicken door

Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by Recoveryman, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

After watching several videos on YouTube I decided to invent my own version of an chicken door. The whole idea is not to have to go into the coop to open or close the chicken door every time the chickens go out in the morning and in at night, RIGHT! So here is a video... what do you all think? The stills are from outside. The pull cable showing open and closed

Attached Files:

2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Cool idea!!!Beats mine.

3. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

The video didn't show up! I'll try it again! My file is an MP4 so I guess I can't post it. I don't have a place to put it to send it as a link. PM an email and I'll send it to you. Here's a screen shot of the door.
    The way it works is the cable pulls the lock, the hinged vertical board, first then the door will slide up.

Attached Files:

4. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

Thanks! If you watch the video you get a better idea how it works. Copy it if you want. Add your own ideas to it it would be fun to see it morph into something different.

5. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I had one with a string tied to a latch raised up. I could close it with another string. Fun!

7. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

Thanks for the heads up on the video. My first try on youtube. I can see it every time... I made it private ill try public and see what happens. I'll be back!

8. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

9. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

It doesn't look like that works either:mad:. I'm working on it. Anyone tried to do a video on YouTube? What needs to happen after it's up loaded? PS that picture of the door is a screen shot from the video. It's not going to work...

10. seminolewind

It should be uploaded into an account you have.

11. Recoveryman

Recoveryman Member

Thanks Karen I knew I missed something but was not sure what! I could see the video on my end every time I clicked the link. It turns out I did not verify my account. SOOO... how about now? can you see it???

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=mjk55_LAghs

12. jthornton

jthornton Member

This is the door I designed and built...

JT

13. seminolewind

Wow! Very nice! Does it work well for you?

14. jthornton

jthornton Member

Yes, it's been working for me for 8 months now. The lock part failed to work a few times so I removed it for now. I'm looking for an open frame lock so I can know when it's open.

JT

15. chickenqueen

That's pretty neat.You must be handy to have around.

16. jthornton

jthornton Member

My wife says I can do anything all I need to do is find the time. I'm an engineer and own a machine shop and metal fabrication shop and I'm self employed so pretty handy I'd guess.

JT

17. chickenqueen

You sound like my husband.He's a painter,my house needs painted and I've been waiting a long time.He finally sanded most of the popcorn off the living room ceiling but stopped at the dining room.That was 2-3 months ago.....

jthornton likes this.