Chicken Forum banner

My call duck pair

Ducks 
4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  7chicks 
#1 ·
This is my pair of call ducks, Fred and Ethel.
I got them from a friend who shows calls, who got them from Jim Monk (considered by many to be the top call breeder in the US).
Fred and Ethel are tiny and really serve no purpose other than their cuteness factor. I just love them to pieces. <3

See less See more
#6 ·
You're lucky bird_slave! Friend of mine had her 2 dogs manage to put her vehicle in gear, one sat on the gas pedal, drove cross the parking lot, and hit a pole - while she was in the store for a few. So much for putting the vehicle in park, doors, locked, and air on to keep the "kids" cool. They bring new meaning to "joy riding." I about fell over reading her rendition of the story this summer - true story! Can you imagine trying to explain that to the local responding cop? :p

#7 ·
You're lucky bird_slave! Friend of mine had her 2 dogs manage to put her vehicle in gear, one sat on the gas pedal, drove cross the parking lot, and hit a pole - while she was in the store for a few. So much for putting the vehicle in park, doors, locked, and air on to keep the "kids" cool. They bring new meaning to "joy riding." I about fell over reading her rendition of the story this summer - true story! Can you imagine trying to explain that to the local responding cop? :p
LOL, our boys could do something like that. :D

#8 ·
Bird-slave, I have a question about call ducks. Went to a few shows and love the little white call ducks! Was thinking of purchasing some this spring. I already have chickens, guineas, and Peking ducks . Any thing different with these little guys? Winter wise as well?

#9 ·
Bird-slave, I have a question about call ducks. Went to a few shows and love the little white call ducks! Was thinking of purchasing some this spring. I already have chickens, guineas, and Peking ducks . Any thing different with these little guys? Winter wise as well?
Kaufranc, I'm sorry for the delay in answering your question.
Weather-wise here in SW Arkansas, I don't treat the calls any different than I do my runner ducks or geese.
They are in a dry coop at night for protection from predators. My waterfowl coop has two sets of doors - the inner doors are wood frames covered in hardware cloth (welded wire), the outer doors are solid.
Any nighttime temps. below 20° F and I close the outer doors for protection against the cold drafts. The calls still get their pool for bathing water every day, no matter what the weather. Their pool has steps inside of it to make it easier for the tiny female to get in and out.
During the day the pair are kept in a covered pen within our yard; again for protection from aerial predators. Also, the male call will pick a fight with my runner drake every chance he gets, just because the call is older and more dominant; so in a sense he's locked up for his own protection. He doesn't realize how small he is.
They can fly pretty well, but I don't clip their wings. They know where home is and have no desire to leave it.
I feed them the same 7 grain feed that the rest of my waterfowl get, but I sprinkle some all flock crumbles on top of it. They don't eat the whole corn included in the feed, too big for them to swallow. Treats - lettuce, cabbage, grapes, etc., I cut into smaller pieces for them.
That's about it. Hope this helps. :)

#10 ·
Fred and Ethel got a new daytime pen yesterday, to give them more room. They are sharing it with my 4 old biddies (5 y.o. hens). The hens needed a place to spend the day, since they hate the new rooster in their flock. Unlike the geese who dislike chickens, Fred and Ethel get along well with them.

#11 ·
Bird_slave said:
Fred and Ethel got a new daytime pen yesterday, to give them more room. They are sharing it with my 4 old biddies (5 y.o. hens). The hens needed a place to spend the day, since they hate the new rooster in their flock. Unlike the geese who dislike chickens, Fred and Ethel get along well with them.
Love the names, Fred Ethel... We have two Pekin's named. Foo and Faye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.