Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My blue silkie hen is broody! She's sitting on 3 eggs right now 2 silkies and a buff brahma egg. I put the buff brahma egg under her a day after she began laying on the 2 silkie eggs is that okay? This is my first experience with a broody hen.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
i take the eggs from my broody silkie and she sits on a golf ball, she doesnt stay broody for long.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I woke up this morning to find that 2 eggs were missing. 1 was nowhere to be found and 1 was on the ground outside uncracked. It had to have dropped a 3 ft drop. My broody hen is now off the 1 egg and pecking around like her normal self. What happened here? I found the one egg with yellow streaks on it so I think one was cracked but there is no sign of an egg shell.

·
Administrator
20,688 Posts
The others ate the shell for the calcium.

Either your girl was not broody or something disturbed her. Is this her first time? Sometimes they get a might confused on what's going on and will leave the nest easily.

Other times it might be just you that happened to be out when she got off the nest to eat, drink and other bodily functions.

One other thing, she should not be three feet off the ground. They do much better with ground nests.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She's back on the egg. I moved her to a kennel on the ground , she sitting again. Yes, this is her first time. If all doesn't go we'll then I will stick a few chicks under her on day 21 because I have a bunch of chicks due the day before hers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts