Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time raising chickens, I have three 1 1/2 month old silkie chicks, I left them inside the coop for almost 3 weeks in order for them to get used to it. Now when I'm letting them go to the running they are not coming back inside the coop. For the past 3 days I have to take one by one and bring inside the coop. They don't have any problem coming out of the coop.
I noticed that they don't use the ramp, they jump in order to get out of the coop. Can anybody let me know if I can fix this ? I would love to let them be free in my garden but I'm scared that If let they will not go back inside the coop and i will have to be chasing them everyday.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Can you turn on a light in the coop at dusk? Folks say birds will come to the light in these cases. Is your ramp too steep or lacking in something that provides traction?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ramp is around 45 degree angle and it has little steps to make it easy. The coop doesn't have any light on it, I'm going to get one tomorrow. Hopefully will help . Thanks for the advice Bee :)

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
YW! I know chickens but I don't know silkies...they are a whole 'nother breed of cat! :D I've heard from others that they don't have the normal chicken sensibilities, which are few in regular chickens anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Only had my silkies for a couple weeks but my two have found a milk crate up by the porch that they get all comfy in until I take them to the coop. This has happened for the last 4 days. Tomorrow the milk crate will not be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had this same problem a couple if weeks ago. They most likely are still trying to figure out the ramp. One of my silkies and one of my frizzles took an extra week of putting them in the coop every night before they figured it out. Stick with it and they will learn. Now my problem is all 17 of my chickens do not want to hang out outside. They only come out to eat or drink or if I am out by them. They are so strange!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe they can be confused because they are too young ? I'm putting a light inside the coop today and I will be carrying them inside the coop until they learn. Maybe I did the coop and the running so comfortable for them that they don't mind of sleeping outside :).
Thanks for all the advices . I love my Silkies :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts