Featured My 3 new Breda hens

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Maryellen, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Picked these three up this morning, dutch connection farm.sent them.up here with a friend who was showing at the poultry show, so I met her at 9am.at the show to take them home.
    They are in quarantine. One black one has a white streak in her Mohawk and I'm going to name her Lilly after Lilly munster:) the other two I'll figure out names. Now I have 15 breda hens and 3 Cockerals. January I'll put some eggs in the incubator and see what happens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boskelli1571 likes this.

2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

You got some good-looking girls,especially the barred one.How old are they?Are they past the stage of problems or are there problems still in the adults,too?It's one thing to take on a breeding project and another to do it with known problems.You got guts,my hat's off to you.I wish you all the success on your project.Does January seem far off?

3. Maryellen

The 2 black ones are pullets the cuckoo is a hen. I see only issues when hatching, either they pip an die or die up to two weeks old (my CA batch). My nj batch is much hardier. I was told if they male it to two weeks old they will be fine and hardy.
    January isn't that far off lol, two months hahaha

4. Maryellen

I don't see any issues with stock that doesn't come from greenfire. I don't think I'll have any issues, the other breeders I've talked to have no issues either as their stock is not greenfire.

5. Maryellen

And those who breed like a hatchery have issues. Most breeders who don't breed like hatcheries have no issues

6. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

You're brave doing the breeding thing. I love your birds.

7. Maryellen

Thanks Karen! So far I hatched my own and shipped eggs in Feb and march.
    I'm excited to see what I get in feb