Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks to TSC having a handful of 3 week old babies in a big glavanized tub for $2 .... I came home with 2 Peking ducks this afternoon. My first ducks and I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing! I don't know if they are male or female either. :confused: My coop is 8x6, heated & insulated. Run is roofed, fenced, and wrapped in plastic for the winter which will be here for another month at least. How long will I have to keep these 2 in the house with me? Do I need to feed them different food when they become adults? If I do, how will I feed them separate? Hubby doesn't know I got these two babies ... yet. He'll be home in about an hour. They were not planned. One of those on a whim things. :eek: I hope this isn't a decision I regret. Not sure how this is going to work out. I'll gladly take all the advice I can get. :) One of them is super snuggly. Picked them up together so they'd stop hollering and the one crawled up my shoulder snuggling tight into my neck. The other just sat back and looked at me then at the surroundings.

Attachments

·
977 Posts
They are cute 7chicks! We have 3 Pekings. They lived in the house probably longer then they should ! I couldn't help they were so cute! Would follow me everywhere! I loved that part! We feed them the same food as the chickens now that they are older but feed them crumbles when they were babies. Nothing medicated. They are messy, be careful! Water everywhere !

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard they make really good pets. I wish we still didn't have so much cold winter to slog through yet. I'm so tired of snow this year. I'm ready for Spring and well, these guys feel like a piece of Spring to me. Figured out its the smaller one - not the one giving the stink eye that cuddles. They like to be held together right now. I just finished my OB clinic and still have through April of this ob/pediatric lecture class to finish. Between that and all the cute chick & duck pics on here ... Well, darned if the stork didn't stop by. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Sorry I didnt post earlier, I totally missed it. Do not feed the ducklings chick feed, use flock raiser. Flock raiser can be fed to both ducklings and chicks up to 20 weeks old. IF you already have them on chick feed give them more niacin. Niacin can be given in brewers yeast, peas, corn meal, and liquid vitamin B drops. You do not need to give water to ducks in the coop for during the night once they are all feathered. They will need to be indoors for a few weeks at least if you dont have heat in the coop. When puting them in the coop I would cage them so the rest of the flock can get used to them, chickens will peck at ducklings bills and rip them up pretty good. I would say keep themindoors until they decently feathers if the weather is still pretty cold. If the weather warms up like to the 70's then put them out earlier. Do not give them water in a pan in the brooder they will make a huge mess. I prefer to use a chick waterer and let them swim in the sink or tub for about 5 minutes a day. I know people say they need a deep watered to clean their noses but as long as you let them have water time each day they'll be fine. Like chicks they need grit for anything beside feed. They LOVE thawed frozen peas ( not canned, to much sodium for them). If you need to know anything else feel free to ask.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is the only thing that might help from me....when they get older you can ether get a kiddie pool or if u have a pond then u can do that for their swimming needs :)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much Apyl & Oliva. I have yet to break it to Lily (our big dog) that she is going to have some competition for her pool this summer. :p

I do have them on that chick starter feed. Its what TSC told me to get them so I did. :eek: I looked yesterday to see what else they had for baby duck feed and they had nothing else for their age. Maybe that's why they told me to get the chick starter feed? Did give them their first swim in shallow water on Sunday. Boy did they love that! They're getting big so fast. Today they are 4 weeks old already. Lots of soft white fluff coming in and their tail pin feathers. They sure are funny to watch. Lots of personality.

I won't be able to move them out to the coop for a while yet. We're so buried in snow right now. :mad: Its storming again today. I did bring in my most docile chicken Josie for about 10 minutes on Sunday to meet the ducks. She didn't know quite what to make of them especially when the taller duck started hissing at her. (I was holding Josie while the ducks were in their clear bin.) If Spring would ever get here, I'd dig out the tractor coop. Works like a charm for introducing new birds. I don't remember TSC getting their chicks & ducks so early in the season before. We still get snow here right through April quite often.

Thanks for letting me know what to do for treats etc. for them Apyl. I tried really small pieces of cheese yesterday since I was desperate to try and get them to quit running away from me. I sit with them all the time when I am home. They do snuggle down really nice once I get them picked up together. Spent the first night awake wondering what did I do bringing home MORE birds. Second day still taking it in that they were really here - not that they let me forget with all that hollering they do. ;) Third day sitting with them more and getting acquainted with them and having fun with them. Fourth day, ya, they belong here - we'll all be okay. I just really wish this long winter would end so I could give them some outside time or at least time to stretch their legs in the coop & run. Not much run around room right now being they are in the house with me. If the tractor wasn't so buried, I'd even try bringing that into the garage and keep it heated in there. Then they'd have more elbow room until I can bring them out to the coop. Think I got spoiled being the last 2 years, we were into mud Spring season by now. Being you're really not that far from me Apyl, it must not be that nice yet your way either?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks so much Apyl & Oliva. I have yet to break it to Lily (our big dog) that she is going to have some competition for her pool this summer. :p

I do have them on that chick starter feed. Its what TSC told me to get them so I did. :eek: I looked yesterday to see what else they had for baby duck feed and they had nothing else for their age. Maybe that's why they told me to get the chick starter feed? Did give them their first swim in shallow water on Sunday. Boy did they love that! They're getting big so fast. Today they are 4 weeks old already. Lots of soft white fluff coming in and their tail pin feathers. They sure are funny to watch. Lots of personality.

I won't be able to move them out to the coop for a while yet. We're so buried in snow right now. :mad: Its storming again today. I did bring in my most docile chicken Josie for about 10 minutes on Sunday to meet the ducks. She didn't know quite what to make of them especially when the taller duck started hissing at her. (I was holding Josie while the ducks were in their clear bin.) If Spring would ever get here, I'd dig out the tractor coop. Works like a charm for introducing new birds. I don't remember TSC getting their chicks & ducks so early in the season before. We still get snow here right through April quite often.

Thanks for letting me know what to do for treats etc. for them Apyl. I tried really small pieces of cheese yesterday since I was desperate to try and get them to quit running away from me. I sit with them all the time when I am home. They do snuggle down really nice once I get them picked up together. Spent the first night awake wondering what did I do bringing home MORE birds. Second day still taking it in that they were really here - not that they let me forget with all that hollering they do. ;) Third day sitting with them more and getting acquainted with them and having fun with them. Fourth day, ya, they belong here - we'll all be okay. I just really wish this long winter would end so I could give them some outside time or at least time to stretch their legs in the coop & run. Not much run around room right now being they are in the house with me. If the tractor wasn't so buried, I'd even try bringing that into the garage and keep it heated in there. Then they'd have more elbow room until I can bring them out to the coop. Think I got spoiled being the last 2 years, we were into mud Spring season by now. Being you're really not that far from me Apyl, it must not be that nice yet your way either?
Since they are on the chick feed watch their legs. TSC employees dont know much about the ducks and chicks, they dont get special training or anything and just guess. Flock Raiser is purina black and sold and TSC it comes in a green bag. But yeah give them peas and you will be their best friend lol. I did find that mallards are harder to get used to me but the pekins became my buddy once the peas came out lol. Dont forget the grit.

And yes we hace snow upon snow upon snow lately. We just got 5 more inches yestarday ugh. We probubly have a good foot and a half if not two on the ground right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wish I could send you guys some of our sunshine. It was beautiful here today. My pair of ducklings are 5 weeks old now and I just moved them out to the coop with my chickens. So far, so good (fingers crossed).

I like all the info since these are my first ducks. Will have to go get peas - even though I have tried to handle them from the beginning, they squirm and want to be on their way. They are delightful characters. So glad I got them - mess and all.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could send you guys some of our sunshine. It was beautiful here today. My pair of ducklings are 5 weeks old now and I just moved them out to the coop with my chickens. So far, so good (fingers crossed).

I like all the info since these are my first ducks. Will have to go get peas - even though I have tried to handle them from the beginning, they squirm and want to be on their way. They are delightful characters. So glad I got them - mess and all.
I felt like I had won the lottery Monday night when I finally got them to take a treat from my hand. Next day, I was back to square one. I "will" get them tamed - like it or not! ;) They sure are funny little critters. :)

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts

Dont hold them when you hand feed them. Just hold out your hand and let them come to you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the tips on winning my ducklings over! I have frozen peas to try today.....looked at mealworms but they were pricey. So peas to start.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm sorry but those meal worms just gross me out too much. They'll have to find their own worms ... once this endless snow melts away! The peas were a big hit though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts