My 1st Ameraucana! So excited!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Stories and Images' started by 7chicks, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Here she is. Got her at a nearby fur & feather swap this morning. She was handled a lot as a chick so she's very sweet & tame. Content to be held so that's all it took and I was in love. :D She's about 5 months old I was told. Introduced her to my Australorp Lilah (my lonely one I'm always yapping about that is badly pecked on by the other hens). Lilah pushed her chest around a bit and left. Have my new little one in the coop tractor by herself for now. Letting the older girls slowly get acquainted with her being around and her a chance to settle in too. I'm so very excited. I've wanted one of these kinds of chickens for a long while.

Attached Files:

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

Very cute congrats :)

3. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

I miss our fur & feather swap ... To many rules and regs, they closed up shop.

Nice looking little lady, congrats!

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

What a shame to have that end. Today was the first time my mom has gone and its only minutes from her house. She got there just as I was debating on this little one. They had pot belly baby pigs there today, lots of chickens, ducks, bunnies, goats, and kittens. Fun to be able to go and pick out what you're looking for. Nice too you can see what you're getting! This little one I brought home today is so nice and healthy! She'll be the final addition to my family now. She was exactly what we were missing. :)

5. aymelli

aymelli New Member

I see the pics! Finally found them. She looks great!

6. hollyosborn

hollyosborn HollyOsborn

aweee shes sweet!!!!!! OHHH i want a pot bellied pig!

7. new2coop

new2coop New Member

How about a miniature goat lol.

8. rob

rob New Member

great looking bird. its hard around here (cardiff) to find anywhere to buy chickens.

9. RachaelJ

RachaelJ RachaelJ

Nice girl!

What a nice girl you got! Hope all will get along.
    It will be fun to see what colour egg she lays.

You gave me an idea to build a chicken tractor.
    How do you get them in and out, and how large is yours?

Someone told me at the feed store that they can predict the colour egg the Americana will lay by feather colouring on the pullet.
    True???

RachaelJ

10. MariaElena

MariaElena New Member

11. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Love the chicken...gonna get chicks here in bout 2weeks. I can't wait :)

12. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Gosh, I forgot all about this thread. I loved her too. Unfortunately she had health issues when I got her. I didn't get them all figured out until it was too late. I tried absolutely everything to pull her through. She was a sweetheart. Her whole name was Holley Madison. (Holley for Holley carborators. Ya a motor freak. I was tickled to finally have a Holley carb on my little 95 Sonoma to go with her new heart - a 350 motor.) :eek: Anyway, my little Holley only made it to early part of September. She was a smart little bugger! Learned things very quick! After the loss of her, I got asked about being a mod on here which totally made my day, to getting asked if I could take my little cousin's lone sebright banty hen the same day, then 4 days later an ameraucana from a friend of my hubby's that he needed to rehome. So, in my saddness, I gained 3 things that make me happy. Being on here, and 2 sweet chickens - the sebright extremely sassy but sweet, and my little Josie aka JoJo who is just a doll. Guess in the short time Holley was here, at least she had a good loving home. She sure was pretty though with those soft white feathers!

13. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Sorry for the loss of Holley she sounds real pretty

14. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Sorry that poor holley died...she sounded like a pretty girl

15. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

She was. Had quite the personality and was a perfect buddy for my lonesome forever pecked on australorp Lilah. The hardships of having chickens. Its hard to pinpoint problems sometimes and chickens like most animals can be great at hiding symptoms of illness. Things seem to go wrong overnight at times. We do the best we can though and share our experiences here in hopes it will help others good or bad. The joys of this forum, sharing with terrific people and working through chicken troubles & triumphs. :)

16. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Yeah agreed these forums r nice because u can share stuff that just happened or stuff that happened a year ago AND newbies like me can ask their questions

17. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Not so judgemental here like a lot of other forums. Admin does a great job of making sure the forum stays friendly and clean.

18. OliviaE

OliviaE New Member

Ya this is a great forum because there is not a lot of bad language and these nice people don't judge us :)

19. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Good thing or I might have been admitted to the looney bin months ago! :p