Chicken Forum banner

MUSCOVY DUCKS

9K views 123 replies 6 participants last post by  Animals45 
#1 ·
Kimmi did good. They are a beautiful pair. The seller even gave her a free dozen muscovy hatching eggs.

See less See more
#102 ·
A confusing subject-I've read that muscovy ducks are not really ducks, but genetically closer to geese; yet the two can not hybridize. But, muscovy geese can hybridize with mallard ducks which is commonly done in France to produce fast growing muscovys for restaurants showing they are genetically close. Then to confuse things more a man posted this picture of two hybrid muscovy/chinese goose hybrids?????

Black geese? The heads sure look like geese. Is there such a thing as black geese.? The man says the black is from a muscovy cross with his Chinese geese.

#105 ·
Thanks for the picture! I had heard of the restaurant idea and I've heard about some of the factory type bird farming practices in China. I guess with the internet, the world gets a little smaller everyday and we hear more about what folks are doing elsewhere. This is very interesting!

#111 ·
Muscovy meat is leaner with less fat, less shrinkage, and tastier, but muscovys are not as fast growing; mallards are, so by crossing they get a faster growing duck that tastes like muscovy. Mallards taste good, but with very fat-filled meat so there's lots of shrinkage and grease. Some muscovys are as big, or nearly so, as geese. Goose is also quite greasy, so if a cross were possible...

To a large extent, people do crosses just because inquiring minds want to know.

#109 ·
Maybe ducks are more food/energy efficient. Maybe geese are too mean to farm commercially. There is very little commercial geese farming here in the states.

#118 ·
PJ-Do you have problems with the tom turkeys and muscovy drakes seriously fighting? Last night the drake was covered in blood and Tommy was covered in mud. This morning, when the drake started fighting with the tom, I locked the drake up. I was surprised that the drake was the victor in the fight.

#119 ·
Yes, and this is an issue. I also have one specific OEG which wants to fight with the eastern wild tom. The turkeys are spending much more time free ranging with the babies now, so it is better. Some of those muscovies are tough as nails though. You are probably doing the right thing by separating them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.