Chicken Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Tibetan Quail? I'm going to have to look those up.

I wish there was something I could do. This virus has had such an impact in so many different areas.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just busy and stressed with keeping the nonprofit going. I'm hoping for a better Spring! I do have some Tibetan Quail eggs in the incubator. The weather is still cold at night, it's 22 right now.
Mother Nature took pity on me. As I look out the window the neighbor's yards are white with frost. The fields beyond the woodlot are white with frost. Yet, my yard has no frost and nothing froze. Thank you God.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Nope, she's still stuck to the nest. I even went out with a red light before the sun came up to see how things were going.

I heard two quail crows this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if it's wild quail that are nearby and not my guy since I only hear it before the sun comes up.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Nope, she's still stuck to the nest. I even went out with a red light before the sun came up to see how things were going.

I heard two quail crows this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if it's wild quail that are nearby and not my guy since I only hear it before the sun comes up.
Maybe they are just late in hatching like my eggs have been doing.

Two males-both cortunix? That would be very unusual to have a wild cortunix in your yard or is it a bobwhite?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just busy and stressed with keeping the nonprofit going. I'm hoping for a better Spring! I do have some Tibetan Quail eggs in the incubator. The weather is still cold at night, it's 22 right now.
We are getting a good 2 day blast of 22 degree nights too. Yuck! And I thought the worst was past.... sheesh! I’d love to see those tiny quail when they hatch out!

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
I had two quail escape the pen, one was the second male I had. Do Bobwhites make the same sound? Because that would be possible then since I know there are some traipsing around here. I've seen them in the front yard.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We are getting a good 2 day blast of 22 degree nights too. Yuck! And I thought the worst was past.... sheesh! I’d love to see those tiny quail when they hatch out!
We are supposed to have one more freezing night and then it is to warm up a little each day.

I had two quail escape the pen, one was the second male I had. Do Bobwhites make the same sound? Because that would be possible then since I know there are some traipsing around here. I've seen them in the front yard.
Bobwhite sound entirely different so it would be your escaped male.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We are supposed to have one more freezing night and then it is to warm up a little each day.

Bobwhite sound entirely different so it would be your escaped male.
Yep! Same weather forecast here- I’ll probably be sparse this weekend- my sons bday and building the coop! Or at least the foundation.

Robin, if you’re hearing two and it’s not bobwhite- would it be possible that he found a wild mate and raised a second one who sounds the same? Dan, I’m sure you can weigh in on this, I’m curious! As usual.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yep! Same weather forecast here- I’ll probably be sparse this weekend- my sons bday and building the coop! Or at least the foundation.

Robin, if you’re hearing two and it’s not bobwhite- would it be possible that he found a wild mate and raised a second one who sounds the same? Dan, I’m sure you can weigh in on this, I’m curious! As usual.
There was a pair that escaped. No, bobwhite and cortunix could not cross; very dissimilar species. I think it was the male in the cage she heard as the second crower.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
I will ask Melissa to get pictures, I'm trying to figure out a way to keep some around, they always fly the coop of course.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Exactly what my two did that escaped. I've got them in pretty secure digs, a dog pen with hardware cloth and poultry netting to keep them in.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
A couple days ago one of the duck eggs under the hen had a dent in the round end with some small cracks. As it didn't appear that the membrane had broke I tried a repair job. I put thickened wood glue over the dent and cracks, set the egg upright in a small cup, and placed it in the incubator. Now, 48 hours later, candling shows the embryo alive and growing. This was a bit of a surprise as almost all damaged eggs of this type have quickly died in the past. First time using wood glue. I chose it because it is water soluble with no toxic ingredients. Just thought this might be handy for someone else to know.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts