Chicken Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the wider side of a 2x4 and mine will roost with my chickens. They do have claws for gripping so natural would be ok too I'd think. They can get pretty heavy so I thought the boards might be stronger. I also have a plastic dog igloo that they seem to like hanging out inside too.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
They are lovely. I have 3 hens. Put up roosts they like to roost at night like a chicken. Clip their wings or they will fly out of your pen. They have very sharp claws too so wear gloves if you handle them they can give you a bad scratch.
They fly pretty well if you have them on a pond.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I use the wider side of a 2x4 and mine will roost with my chickens. They do have claws for gripping so natural would be ok too I'd think. They can get pretty heavy so I thought the boards might be stronger. I also have a plastic dog igloo that they seem to like hanging out inside too.
I have natural branches up already, but I'll add some 2 X 4s.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This evening I watched from the kitchen window as Betty made a nest next to the coop wall with Boop standing guard. The nest boxes I provided were different sizes of dog carriers.

The question now is how long before the first egg is laid?

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Betty has moved her nest site. I don't remember muscovies putting so much time into making a nest; still no eggs, but she looks very swollen by the vent so hopefully laying will start soon. Eleven of the muscovy eggs in the incubator are still developing; 3 weeks to go.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A watched pot never boils, sort of thing. Her first nest was taken over by the kids and their play. I'm sure the storms, rains, and cold have played a part in it too; and that stupid neighbor's dog who tortured the birds through the fence. HE GOT SHOT YESTERDAY so no more....

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
While it's never great to celebrate the end of a stressful event when it comes to death. This is on the owners for not listening.

Whelp, what are you going to do to protect nesting areas from the kids. It won't get better as they get older. They just get smarter.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
While it's never great to celebrate the end of a stressful event when it comes to death. This is on the owners for not listening.

Whelp, what are you going to do to protect nesting areas from the kids. It won't get better as they get older. They just get smarter.

For most of the birds the nest boxes are already high up or in breeder pens. For the ground nesters it should not be that hard to make boxes big enough for the birds to enter, but too small for the kids/goats. When Betty actually lays an egg I will collect and replace with dummies. After brooding starts I'll keep the gate to the poultry yard closed where the nest is.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A large hen has gone broody so I moved six muscovy eggs from the incubator under the hen. I never seem to get the humidity right in the incubator so I try to always move eggs under birds to hatch.

The couple I got Boots, the d'Uccle rooster from, are hatching wild mallard ducklings to sell. It is vey tempting. Duck math???

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Do you think she'll be willing to raise them if they hatch early in her setting?

Don't you have to have a permit to raise Mallards?

BTW, tomorrow is hatch day for the quail. I need to go out and check on her in a few.

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do you think she'll be willing to raise them if they hatch early in her setting?

Don't you have to have a permit to raise Mallards?

BTW, tomorrow is hatch day for the quail. I need to go out and check on her in a few.
The eggs won't hatch much early as they still have well over two weeks before hatching. Usually, hens that have brooded at least a week will accept hatching eggs and chicks. There's so little difference between wild and domestic mallards that a permit would not be needed as it could not be enforced and hard to prove the ducks are wild. Many people have mallards and if they're not clipped... I had wild mallards when I was a teenager and they were far from acting wild. And while they could fly well they never left.

Good luck with the quail.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
So now, we're waiting on Muscovy eggs to hatch. What else is out there? More turkeys?

Oh wait! The turkey baby! Is it out with Mom now? Did she have any other eggs hatch?

·
Serama King
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So now, we're waiting on Muscovy eggs to hatch. What else is out there? More turkeys?

Oh wait! The turkey baby! Is it out with Mom now? Did she have any other eggs hatch?
Muscovy eggs, call eggs, serama eggs, d'Uccle eggs, and turkey eggs. The call eggs come tomorrow. I'm not sure the turkey has started to brood yet, but will be soon. Next are two d'Uccle eggs this Sunday-testing fertility. Nine serama eggs on day 3. Muscovies in about two weeks.

With this cold Big Gray is just brooding the poult. It won't need to eat or drink until tomorrow. And tomorrow will be cold too. Bad time to be a poult.

·
Administrator
18,194 Posts
Dang, dude. That's a lot to have coming out of eggs in just a little bit.

She's got the one. That makes things OK. I agree completely about the weather not being cooperative for new babies to be making an appearance.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts