Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kimmi did good. They are a beautiful pair. The seller even gave her a free dozen muscovy hatching eggs.

·
Administrator
20,574 Posts
Healthy too. Look at the sheen of their feathers.

How do you deal with them since you have no pond? A huge kiddie pool?

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The breeder used large kiddie pools and so will I. Muscovys (or is it ies?) are more adapted to walk on land than other ducks and do well without a pond. They too, are a breed recommended for mix specie flocks. From what I remember and have recently read, the only birds muscovys fight with is other muscovys of the same sex. If that is true I will be most hppy.

They are bigger than what I had as a teenager and Kimmi tells me they had others that were much bigger; comparable to a turkey. Does PJ have muscovys? I have tried research and will continue to do so, but I've already visited two sites that know crap about muscovys.
PLEASE PJ, CORRECT ANYTHING THAT I POST THAT IS NOT CORRECT. On this subject I am very much a student. What experience I have with the breed is 55 years old.

These birds are super; tame and friendly the minute they were let out of the cage. Bigger, lumbering giants next to the calls.

The breeder had other more expensive types and colors. The eggs he gave are a mix from all his muscovys so I'm hoping to get variety. It will be a long wait for these eggs to hatch-5 weeks. I have the eggs in the incubator, but when Penny turkey starts to brood she will be hatching ducklings instead of poults.

First question for anyone that can answer. hat is the best nest box design for these birds? As a teen, I used old milk cans.

·
Administrator
20,574 Posts
Wow, I don't know. A friend of mine had them. She had the hens building nests on the second story deck.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I don't know. A friend of mine had them. She had the hens building nests on the second story deck.
Wild muscovy nest in tree cavities like wood ducks. I remember the milk cans, but if they nested elsewhere I don't remember. More research as I'll have to get something set up for them pronto; tis' the season. The eggs I got are extra large eggs when compared to chickens-that's why I will use the turkey hen to brood them. My bantams could not set more than four or five.
Incubators are too ify for me when it comes hatch time; especially when it's something I really want.

·
Administrator
20,574 Posts
I did not know that about the tree nests. Can you imagine a baby having to make that big leap?

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know that about the tree nests. Can you imagine a baby having to make that big leap?
I've seen videos of wood ducklings leaping from the tree nest. Hilarious seeing them bounce off whatever they fall on and not get hurt. Back when I was a kid we had a bantam brood in an old pigeon nest up by the barn steeple; way up-at one time our barn was the tallest in the county. When the chicks hatched they jumped to the mow floor and survived. The floor was covered in hay, but even so...

·
Wonderful Friend
1,393 Posts
Science for the win, right Dan? Those little babies don’t have enough weight to them, comparable to their little squishy rubbery size anyway- add in wings and they’re regular bouncing balls with rudders!

But in seriousness, I’ve watched those videos too- and it always blows my mind! There is one type of bird I saw on one of the nature shows- .... shoot, can’t remember right now. But, a big big type bird, but slow growing, and they have to jump down these huuuuuuuge cliffs and bounce and roll and flop to the bottom- like 100s of feet! Apparently in that extreme instance they don’t always make it, but the fact that even one has EVER made that leap and survived is incredible to me. I’ll have to see if I can recall what type. Hmm.

·
Administrator
20,574 Posts
I've seen videos of wood ducklings leaping from the tree nest. Hilarious seeing them bounce off whatever they fall on and not get hurt. Back when I was a kid we had a bantam brood in an old pigeon nest up by the barn steeple; way up-at one time our barn was the tallest in the county. When the chicks hatched they jumped to the mow floor and survived. The floor was covered in hay, but even so...
That's it. I remembered seeing ducklings dropping out of tree nest but couldn't remember what they were.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Nice Muscovy pics Dan. I have some, they are prolific, sturdy and entertaining. If you use the kiddie pools, you will probably need a couple and they will need dumped and refilled daily. Muscovies can trash the water in minutes. I would keep your nests as low as practical.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Science for the win, right Dan? Those little babies don’t have enough weight to them, comparable to their little squishy rubbery size anyway- add in wings and they’re regular bouncing balls with rudders!

But in seriousness, I’ve watched those videos too- and it always blows my mind! There is one type of bird I saw on one of the nature shows- .... shoot, can’t remember right now. But, a big big type bird, but slow growing, and they have to jump down these huuuuuuuge cliffs and bounce and roll and flop to the bottom- like 100s of feet! Apparently in that extreme instance they don’t always make it, but the fact that even one has EVER made that leap and survived is incredible to me. I’ll have to see if I can recall what type. Hmm.
If it's the one I remember it is a type of goose; I don't remember what kind, but the geese nested on cliff sides to protect the nests from predators. GOOGLE IT!---Barnacle geese.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice Muscovy pics Dan. I have some, they are prolific, sturdy and entertaining. If you use the kiddie pools, you will probably need a couple and they will need dumped and refilled daily. Muscovies can trash the water in minutes. I would keep your nests as low as practical.
These also seem docile, friendly, and personable. I have named them Betty and Boop. I also saw Betty checking out a large dog crate nest site I've provided. So far they seem to get along with everything-dogs and kids too. They seem like bumbling, gentle giants by my small birds.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another odd thing about Betty and Boop is, even though they have shown no aggression towards anything, nothing is trying to bully them either. That is odd, the turkeys ALWAYS bully any new bird, but they have completely ignored the muscovies; truly odd.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Possibly, but their aggressiveness has always been immediate before.
Muscovies generally take no crap. Melissa's favorite one faced down with a Racoon and lost.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
That duck was tougher than nails.

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are lovely. I have 3 hens. Put up roosts they like to roost at night like a chicken. Clip their wings or they will fly out of your pen. They have very sharp claws too so wear gloves if you handle them they can give you a bad scratch.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are lovely. I have 3 hens. Put up roosts they like to roost at night like a chicken. Clip their wings or they will fly out of your pen. They have very sharp claws too so wear gloves if you handle them they can give you a bad scratch.
Thank you for your reply. I had not considered roosts for them even though I know that wild muscovies roost and nest in trees. Is there any particular type of roost you'd recommend? Natural branches?

1 - 20 of 124 Posts