Muscovy duck off the nest at night day 17 - chances of eggs surviving? UPDATE! Ducklings hatching!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by Crazie Maizie, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

Hi. I have a handful of muscovies. I am letting one sit on a nest of 5 eggs. Last night, I put a divider between her and the other ducks. It was a thin divider - just something so she didn't get upset by one of the other ducks who she detests atm. I lock my ducks up at night and they have to share space with the broody.
    Anyway, there was an apparent scuffle and she was off the nest - I'm guessing most of the night. The divider fell and covered the nest. Yesterday would be around day 17. Is there any chance the eggs are still viable?
    She is back sitting this morning. Just wondering if I should destroy the nest or let her continue to sit.
    Thanks.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

No, don't destroy it. They should be fine. It might delay the hatch some but any viable eggs should still hatch. Even your divider helped hold some of the heat in until you found the problem.

Crazie Maizie likes this.

3. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

Ooh I do hope she hatches at least a couple of those eggs. Thanks!

4. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely do not destroy the nest, there is still a very good chance everything will be okay :) hang in there

5. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

Good to hear because I would hate for her to sit all this time and nothing happen.

Sylie likes this.
  6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Active Member

We have a Muscovy who has refused to associate with the other ducks and birds for eleven years. She has built her nest under the stairs in the horse barn and she attempts to hatch eggs there every year, probably because it is closer to the pond. Our coop is behind the house with a six foot fence to keep the predators out. In all these years, she has only successfully hatched one brood. It is impossible to keep the opossum population down to zero and that is what usually gets her eggs. But she never gives up.

Crazie Maizie, Sylie and robin416 like this.
  7. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

20200802_122655.jpg Thought I would come and update this thread. The other day I came home and 1 of the eggs were out of the nest and half broken with a duckling inside. It was still breathing and so I attempted to keep him warm, but he didn't make it through the night. I probably should have removed the rest of its shell, but I didn't know what I was doing. I don't understand what happened or how it got there.
    Fast forward to today and by my calculations day 36 - she has one hatched duckling under her, 1 egg where it's beak is peeping out, and 2 others that I can't tell what they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    Sylie likes this.
  8. robin416

Congrats. Glad she was able to prove us right that there was still a chance that she would hatch some peeps.

There is a possibility that she knew something was wrong and shoved it out of the nest.

If she leaves the nest before the two others hatch I would pull them and check to make certain there are not viable ducklings in there.

9. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

20200802_152056.jpg The second one has hatched, one of them looks like it's ready and I'm not sure about the 4th one. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    Sylie likes this.
  10. robin416

I can picture you now, waiting and waiting with all types of excitement. Wishing the babies would get done with this hatching thing already.

Love that black patch on baby's head.

11. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

The 3rd one hatched. She's yellow too. The 4th one - I can see there is a fully formed duckling. I didn't hear anything when I picked up the egg. The egg seems soft so I guess I'm waiting to see what that one does.

12. robin416

Is she not sitting on the egg now? That could be a problem if it isn't as hot there as it is here. That's if the egg is viable.

13. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

She's still sitting on the egg. When I checked her and put it back, she slipped it back under her. So I assume everything is ok?
    When she started sitting I had 2 eggs that I had gathered and they were left in a warm shed for days. She had 3 under her. I then put the 2 thinking the hatch rate might not be good. I really only want 2 more ducks. :D
    So, although we lost the 1st one - she's not doing too bad. I just wonder if this last one was either one of the 2 that I had off of her nest or one of the firs 3 that I allowed her to actually sit on? Is there anything I should watch for Besides her leaving the nest?

14. robin416

Nope, just wait for the pip to happen. If you hear distressed crying from the egg then you might have to intercede in helping it hatch. But don't jump to that right away, it's a timing thing. Too soon and baby can bleed to death or if the yolk isn't absorbed it could die if that ruptures.

15. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

image000000(4).jpg Here's that one yellow one with the black spot. Amazing how it took over her whole head once she dried and fluffed.
    Edited to say:
    I just looked at the earlier pics - maybe this was the first one that hatched, but I thought it's body was black. Now I'm confused. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020 at 7:21 PM
  16. robin416

The body does look black in that first pic. Don't you have a black one in there now?

I did not expect to see the whole head covered like that. It looked like it was a single black patch.

17. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Active Member

18. Crazie Maizie

Crazie Maizie New Member

20200802_200428.jpg 20200802_200428.jpg I just went out and was able to look at all of them at the same time.
    The one in the pic above does have a black body. The yellow one with the patch is doing well. Didn't hide from me and nibbled at my hand. :) The 3rd one is all yellow. Still waiting for the 4th one. I'm not seeing any progress. I have read it can take some time. I can see a foot and maybe the beak. I didn't hear anything when I picked it up earlier.
    Does mom lead them to food and water? I've placed a shallow dish of water near by the coop in the run. Should I move feed to an accessible area for the ducklings?
    The original muscovies I have, I got as week old ducklings so I had them in the brooder.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:07 PM
  19. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

OH Maizie! they are so adorable! OMG! I want the yellow one with the brown spot on it's head, gimme!! lol just kidding.

You are doing well and Mommy duck has done a great job hatching them also.

Poultry Judge and Crazie Maizie like this.
  20. robin416

Sylie is the one to direct that question to. She knows ducks far better than I do. But I would put the food in there, Mom is going to need to eat even if the peeps aren't ready.

Poultry Judge and Crazie Maizie like this.