Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

A few weeds back we looked out our window to see a chicken in our backyard. Her back was bloody with only 1 tail feather sticking straight up. Our immediate neighbors don't have chickens so I suspected she had to fly over several fences to get to our back yard to get away from her flock. She was really a mess and I didn't think she would live, but day after day she was still there. Later that week, I found myself at the local feed store buying a hay bale and chicken feed. The clerk at the store told me that over time chickens don't do well alone....so what could I do but get new chicks?

OK...some may be saying...hey lady, that's someone else's chicken, you should have walked around knocking on doors and found it's owner. I agree I should have done that but I didn't because as our family cared for this chicken (named Mr. Rusty by my four year old) we began to love it....besides who would let their chicken get so mauled up? She found us and we love her so that's that.

Thanks to this forum I was able to put together a brooder and now my other five chicks are over 7 weeks old and thriving. I have them in the backyard in a makeshift coop with chicken wire and stakes. My husband found an old dog kennel at the thrift store and put the young ones in the kennel at night to protect them from predators.

Mr Rusty is free ranging it and roosts on a ladder on our porch at night. Each day she leaves us a perfect green egg. I keep the birds separated now but when they get out of there pen, she helps me herd them in. She hangs out with them in the shade and I am hopeful that they will be a happy flock.

Long story short, I never thought I would be a backyard chicken enthusiast but because Mr. Rusty found us....here we are today! I want to thank this forum for being there when I knew nothing about chickens. They have been a very positive addition to our family who has never had animals.

Next step is deciding on what type of Coop to build...

Thanks again and sorry for the bad grammar....
Janizzle

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
Awesome story Janizzle! Love the pics! Welcome to chicken land as well!
(Ps) We don't mind the bad grammar.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Love your story and the pictures! Your girls look very happy and Mr. Rusty is lucky to have found you!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome! I am so glad that you and your family showed compassion towards Mr. Rusty! Most people would assume that the chicken was dragged off and eaten by a predator. Sounds like she was but by a miracle, she escaped death. Now she looks awesome and happy! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome Janizzle! Animals go where they feel safe & loved. I'm glad Mr. Rusty found her place. It looks like the chicken bug has bitten another victim ~ congratulations! When things begin to stress me out, I find myself hanging out with the chickens & guineas. Their funny little ways help me unwind and remember not to take life so seriously. Have a great day and keep those pictures coming!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Thank you for sharing your story. :) Funny how an animal somehow manages to adopt us before we even realize it. Rusty knew there was something better out there for her and she certainly found it. Way to go Rusty! :) Congratulations on your new additions. Sounds like Rusty is going to be just fine those little ones. Welcome to chickenhood. It is a really great place to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts