Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering moving my ducks to my big ol' pond on the property. It is very close to the chicken coop but not close enough to lock the ducks up in. My question is this, what does a duck coop look like for 2 pekin ducks? They are pretty decent sized even for the big bird they are. Also, I think I would give them free access to food and water. They would have plenty of grass moss, but more water than land. The pond is a bit dirty but has cleaning water running into it 24/7 from a stream. It has a lot of weeds and green floating algae but I think they would help clean it up? They just do not seem content with a little kiddy pool and it really is quite a bit of work to clean it out. But my most primery concern is would they waddle off? Plants and cat tails surround a large portion of it and a cliff type rock on the other quarter, but there is an open space where they can walk around right into a parking lot. I could maybe possibly fence it in but would rather not. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
My ducks were always free range. They wouldn't go to the barn nor a coop, they lived on our pond. When I called they came in for feed. (didn't matter if I was calling the horses or any other farm critter... they came for feed.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I can not advise on the ducks. However the pond is something I can help with. If you wish to have the algae disappear, you can put plants in the pond. I'm sure there are already some, but if you add a whole bunch of lily and stuff like that, they will take in the extra nutrients and the algae will no longer be a nuisance.
Not only will your pond life improve, but I'm sure your ducks will love having clean clear water. Are there any fish in the pond currently?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There used to be koi fish but got eaten by a muscrat (but wire over pipes so it can't get back in) and I am bit unsure of the type of algae here. I think of algae usually as the green slimy stuff on the side of my turtle tank, but this time I am talking about floating little green dots you might say in HUGE clumps. And I missed you on the type of flowers that would help? Any advice for getting rid of the nasty leaves at the bottom? And thanks so much for the info!

And to (sorry forgot your username) the polar bear contact photo, I have a parking lot where quite a few people drive in so do you think they would go near the cars or stay in there little area? Also I think I will provide a coop for them because they are quite defenseless, and plus we have quite a few predators here who would like to make some turducken (minus the turkey) haha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I was researching the algae stuff in the pond and I found out its actually not algae its duckweed! Haha fitting right....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone have any ideas? And on the duck coop is there any ideas on how to build a minimum requirement coop for 2 good sized pekin ducks? I want it to be somewhat attractive as the pond is on the front of the property.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts