Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, sorry for another question!

My broody hen has been sitting on a whole bunch of eggs, and I had about given up on any hatching because it has been so cold. She would let the eggs roll out and get cold, so I would toss them.

Originally, I had decided to move her to a private spot and give her hatchlings, but we decided to keep the hatchlings in the house, because, chicks are so cute, you know.....lol

But this morning there was a peeping fluffy under her!! And it is snowing. 馃様. Another hen that likes to go in her box and lay eggs for her to sit in also wouldn鈥檛 leave her alone, so I closed her out of the pen because she was poking her head under broody Sunshine鈥檚 rear. She is such a sweetheart hen, and won鈥檛 peck to keep the other hens away.

Should I try to move her now? I am almost done with my silkie pen, so I could just move her in there, Or put her in the garage where the silkies sleep at night. I honestly don鈥檛 trust the other hens if she isn鈥檛 going to peck and keep them away.

馃ゴ View attachment 40520

Administrator
Is that the only egg she had left under her? With the cold it can delay the other eggs from hatching.

You can try moving her, the peep and her nest to the garage to see if she'll remain on them. If it's been that cold peep is going to need a warming station to keep it from getting too cold. Something as simple as a bell lamp with a 65 watt incandescent bulb about a foot off the floor will work.

For future reference, cold eggs doesn't necessarily mean they're not going to hatch. It just means they're going to be late.

And don't worry about questions. Not asking when you have questions means you're working in the dark. And asking shows you want the best for them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, thanks! Mama is moved! It was chaos in the hen house for a while. I had to temporarily tape a piece of cardboard with a peek hole over her box because the other hens were pitching a fit over being denied access to the boxes. Chicken drama! 馃槀

She half crawled into the box on the eggs and chick and hasn鈥檛 moved. There are five other eggs in there now, but some of those are recent, so they won鈥檛 be fertilized anymore. That other hen liked to lay eggs in her box all the time for her to sit on.

Good to know about the cold eggs. It seems like there are so many opinions on chickens that it is hard to know who to trust. I know a couple I tossed had the red line thing going on though. Some were hard to tell with the brown shells.
35F187AB-4FEC-41A1-BF09-14CBCF01AAC5.jpeg
35F187AB-4FEC-41A1-BF09-14CBCF01AAC5.jpeg

Administrator
I'm going to scream. For some reason the spam thingy doesn't want to display your post. I'll get it fixed.

Yeah, eggs can get pretty chilled before it kills the embryos. It's one of those things, depending on where they are in development you can candle the next day and see they're still alive.

I'm glad you were able to move her and she seems to be OK with it. I'd watch that box though in case peepers manages to get over the side. You might be searching the garage looking for it.

Administrator
Whelp, the forum was having some sort of brain fart. Now you have two full size pics and it finally decided it was stupid for not posting your reply.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to scream. For some reason the spam thingy doesn't want to display your post. I'll get it fixed.

Yeah, eggs can get pretty chilled before it kills the embryos. It's one of those things, depending on where they are in development you can candle the next day and see they're still alive.

I'm glad you were able to move her and she seems to be OK with it. I'd watch that box though in case peepers manages to get over the side. You might be searching the garage looking for it.
It is probably my fault for trying to add pictures. It wasn鈥檛 working and I did it more than once...lol. User error most likely.

Yeah, the box/cage isn鈥檛 the ideal situation, but I just needed to get something together quickly. I should be able to get the big, metal water tank thing cleaned out in the next day or two, and all should be well.

Administrator
I don't think it was you. I noticed a couple of other things happening that weren't right. You just happened to try to add a pic at the same time something was trying to happen.

I went back and looked again, you're right. You could attach plastic around the cage to keep it from wandering if it does get out of the box. When I was raising peeps in cages I would cover their cage in the early going to keep heat in. Peep has momma so that's not as much of a worry.

I was going to mention that if she stays broody you might have to show peep food and water. But I don't see any in there. Stirring the feed and water with a finger usually gets their attention to give it a try.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to mention that if she stays broody you might have to show peep food and water. But I don't see any in there. Stirring the feed and water with a finger usually gets their attention to give it a try.
I just came back here to ask about if I need to show the chick water. I had to run to the store to get another food and water dish, but they were out of the small ones. I had to get big ones....ugh.

She has that chick tucked in there like a tick. She didn鈥檛 even get up to eat and drink this morning. That鈥檚 when I knew a chick must have hatched. I鈥檓 going to go see if I can get it out again.

Administrator
Can you switch waterers around? Peep can drown in the bigger deeper waterers. It's why most of us had marbles around to put in the water trough. Some used aquarium gravel.

At some point it will come out on it's own. But if you can show it food and water now it's a bonus to watch their reaction to seeing the water moving. They just have to poke at it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you switch waterers around? Peep can drown in the bigger deeper waterers. It's why most of us had marbles around to put in the water trough. Some used aquarium gravel.

At some point it will come out on it's own. But if you can show it food and water now it's a bonus to watch their reaction to seeing the water moving. They just have to poke at it.
Don鈥檛 worry 馃檪, I put a shallow little ceramic dish for the chicks and just hung the big one for mom. She ends up drinking the chick water, though and I have to fill it constantly.

The second chick hatched, so there are two little peeps! The second one is a mean little bugger. It keeps pecking mom and she just puts up with it.

I think the other hens must miss Sunshine. After I moved her to the garage, they stopped laying eggs. I have never had zero egg days before.

Administrator
LOL At least you know the water is clean for peep since you need to change it so often.

She really did a good job. So many will quit when moved, she stuck with it and now you've got two.

When can you move them back? Has the weather gotten better for little ones to be in the coop?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL At least you know the water is clean for peep since you need to change it so often.

She really did a good job. So many will quit when moved, she stuck with it and now you've got two.

When can you move them back? Has the weather gotten better for little ones to be in the coop?
Man, I thought raising chicks was the cutest thing ever, but I was wrong. Watching a mama hen with chicks is the cutest thing ever! I love watching them imitate her and pop out randomly in her wings. 馃挄

I have been opening a he garage door and letting the mom take them outside when it is warm. So far it has gone very well. She has ventured a bit farther each day and I have carefully observed her reaction to the other hens. Whoah Mama!! If they get too close to her chicks they get it!

Today we took them to the coop to see how they do. Looks fine so far. I am not sure about keeping them out there at night. It is supposed to get back to the 30s at night again this week.

Administrator
Dang, woman, you live in some cold country.

It is adorable to watch the interaction between mom and peeps. I like when peeps decide they'd rather perch on Mom's back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
馃槚
Dang, woman, you live in some cold country.

It is adorable to watch the interaction between mom and peeps. I like when peeps decide they'd rather perch on Mom's back.
Yeah, that is soooo cute!

Temps this week.....馃槖.

Administrator
Dog gone it. No wonder you were concerned about her having peep outside. Your instincts were spot on. Unless you can do a warming lamp in the coop they're stuck in that cage for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts