Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Silkie who has been on one egg for 18 days today. We prepared her a box with food, water, and shavings on the office upstairs to prepare for hatching and get her out of the coop in case the other birds didn't do well with the chick. We moved her last night when everyone went to bed. She put her egg back under her once she got over being ticked at the move....a couple minutes. This morning my husband checked on her. She had moved closer to where the food was but the egg was beside her. He put it back under her. I checked her a little later and she was still sitting on it. I'm concerned she's rejected the egg. But everything I read said to separate the hen and egg from everyone else at some point.

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still sitting. End of Day 18. Candled. Air sac looks good. Thought I saw movement.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Sorry, I'm no help.

I'm more of a let Mother Nature do her thing. I let the hen do her job and I do not candle ... If the hen were to reject an egg, it is for a reason.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We moved my two girls who are silkie sisters a week before and they did great. 3 eggs - 100% hatch. The chicks are 4 days old now. - Tracy

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 19 begins. Such a good Mama.

IMG_20130328_073455.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
If she has indeed rejected an egg, it would be because it was rotten or has a defect that she can sense. F you candled it and saw movement, she probably hasn't rejected it so I wouldn't bother with her too much. She may have just moved closer so she could eat while sitting on the egg at the same time. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts